FIFTY-SIX

══════════════════

══════════════════

"Pen! Pen! Flowers!"

The moment Gabriel runs at me with some daisies in his chubby hand. I would not doubt what family he belongs to if I didn't already know.

"He's definitely your brother," I mention to Nick as I bend down and take the offering. "Thank you, Gabriel!"

"What can I say? It's a good way to catch the ladies," Nick jokes. "I'm teaching him invaluable life lessons, Aspen."

I snort, and Gabriel toddles off. His feet stomp with every movement down the garden to Hannah.

"It worked with his mother, I have to admit," Neil cuts in. "The Knight family have a reputation of being lady's men."

I chuckle. "I see... so it's a thing. Did you use nature lines on Hannah as well?"

"She's my sunflower," Neil says by way of answer.

"See, now I know this piece of information, I'm less flattered by you, Nicholas," I tease.

He grins, showing me his dimple. "Too bad because you're stuck with me. It's a tried and tested method! One that will keep passing down the family!"

I snort as Hannah and Gabriel appear. "You're impossible."

"You both deny being flattered by us, yet we've been married for twenty-two years, and you're engaged to our Nicholas. The lines work, Aspen. You just need to admit it," Neil points out.

"Well... I have nothing to say to that," I retort.

"Speaking of engagements," Nick cuts in, and I sigh. He'd planned to do this over dinner.

"You said over dinner, Nick," I whisper.

"Yeah, well, screw that," he replies.

"There's news?" Hannah claps her hands.

"Now I see where you get your impatience from," I note, thinking of pretty much everything he's done since I met him. The only thing he wants to wait with is trying for a baby. I don't know why I'm surprised.

Gabriel wheels over his little toy wheelbarrow while we sit on the outdoor sofas. I watch him with his chestnut hair, blue eyes, and his little grey dinosaur dungarees as he stomps around with his red wheelbarrow. He beams at Nick before sitting himself in the wheelbarrow and clapping to himself.

I chuckle at him.

"So, what is this news?" Hannah questions.

Nick laughs. "We've booked our wedding!"

I remember when I went to a concert once, and the moment the band came out for the first time, everyone dived out of their seats and a roar so deafening rolled through the venue. It was like a pack of lions at dinner time, and I was in the middle, unsure whether I was the lion or the prey.