Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The dwarf showed her the leaf that belonged to her brother's tree. The light green color was shining in the sun's rays. When she was looking at the small leaf in her hand, she understood the critical situation and wanted to give her whole heart for his brother - though she had never met him.

The monster was destroying the trees in the minutes they were talking so they decided to go on and find her brother and the rest that were still alive.

The sun's last rays began to disappear on the horizon. The trip was long and they didn't know how long the road would be. So they decided to take shelter for the night when the monster seemed to be far away.

Ivy was heating her hands over the embers from the fireplace, the dwarf had stacked at their arrival. Ivy asked after her best friend Willy that had been left in the grumpy house. The dwarf said that he was caring for the house and kept watching if someone should find the way in.

"The house has been lying on the residential road for many years. It was meant as a portal to a second world. A world where trees could talk and everything could happen but something is about to ruin it. Only the waited can fall through the floorboards and arrive in our world. Not many people arrive to or believe in a different world. It is only the luckiest.", he said and for the first time, he leaned over towards Ivy and hugged her. "it's only the carefully selected who are allowed to come to our world - often with roots in their blood", he said quietly in her arms. And for the first time, Ivy felt very special.

A brightening blanket of stars danced over their heads and they thought about going to bed in that little tent the dwarf had brought including the firewoods - as if he knew what was going to happen...