12. Hacksaw Massacre

Two days later—a week before Christmas break—we learned what Katia's hacker was for.

Jess and I sat in the boys' room watching our guilty pleasure rerun, 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', while Jackson tried to focus on his laptop on the couch behind us.

"What the he-" he blurted suddenly.

We glanced briefly at him, and decided we didn't care; Buffy was more interesting whatever had his attention. As I laughed at a particularly implausible stunt, Leon rammed through the door, looking out of breath. Well, darn. This looked like it would be more entertaining than the T.V. afterall. His eyes darted around the room quickly and he asked Jackson, "Have you seen... ?"

Catching sight of Kellen through the open door, sprawled across his bed doing homework, Leon stopped talking immediately. He widened eyes at Jackson, mouthing, "We need to do something!"

"No, I haven't seen your laptop, Leon." Jackson replied loudly. Confusion and exasperation flitted across Leon's face and Jess and I tried not to laugh as Jackson flailed his arms in large gestures, telling him to go get Kellen's laptop. The light in Leon's brain finally turned on, and he followed Jackson's charade.

He knocked on Kellen's door and barged in before he got a response. "Hey Kel, lost my laptop, gonna borrow yours for a bit."

Kellen only grunted in response and Leon ran out, wielding the laptop like he'd won a battle. But a hijINKs notification came through on our phones and all color drained from his face. Jackson and Leon lunged into Kellen's room, intent on getting to his phone before he could. I glanced at mine as the three of them wrestled, elbows and hands flying everywhere. 

I also noticed a collective of social media notifications from Kellen himself

I also noticed a collective of social media notifications from Kellen himself. But I'd been here for the past half hour and Kellen hadn't touched his phone, or his laptop. I clicked it and giggled; a three year old Kellen in the nude. "Aww."

But Leon and Jackson wouldn't be so upset over just that picture, and there had been several notices. Holding my breath I began scrolling further only to have my phone ripped from my hand.

"Hey!" I yelped as my phone was snatched from me. Looking up, I saw Kellen, a bruise forming on his cheek, chest rising and falling heavily and my protest died. He'd lost the fight for his phone with Leon and Jackson and had clearly decided I'd be an easier target, given that I was no longer paying attention.

He scrolled the screen upward and his face went from awkwardly amused to stony to absolutely livid. Then he handed my phone back to me and calmly returned to his room, quietly clicking the door shut. The ensuing yell, a long drawn out curse made us all jump. As did the sudden sound of things smashing. 

Jess and I scuttled out of the room to Leon's incredulous words. "I can't believe she'd do that!"

Jess and I held it together just long enough to walk back to our room at a normal pace and then beelined for the window seat in our room. The first couple pictures we saw were innocent; naked baby in a bathtub, kid in embarrassing underwear, pants caught on something. After those, the pictures took on a darker air. These were definitely not the kinds of pictures or videos one would willingly share.