32. Wink Wink

Throughout dinner I tracked information being passed from student to student as it had the night before when we'd sent our initial requests. Notebooks, folders, slips of paper, going from one student to another till they reached one of us. 

"Sad that it took this nightmare to bring everyone together." I mumbled as I watched a group of Hellhounds and Thunderbirds sit together. All around the dining hall there were new cliques that hadn't existed a week ago.

"Nightmare or not, you should take this opportunity to go talk to Hot Nick!" Jess grinned. Nick Sokolov, by far the most attractive junior boy, was unfortunately for my freshman crush on him, a Hellhound. 

"That would be so cute!" Ashley cooed, "Nic & Nick!"

A folder dropped in front of me and I quickly stuffed it into my bag, hoping its deliverer hadn't heard them. "Ugh, gross! Cutesy, matching names? No thanks."

"Who's got cutesy, matching names?" Eddie dropped into the seat beside me.

I tried to stop Jess from answering, but Ashley, catching her eye mischievously, blurted the names.

"Hot Nick? Really, Love? You know he's about as sharp as a bag of marshmallows right?"

Shrugging my shoulders, I looked across the hall at the boy in question. "It's a good thing then that being math class eye candy doesn't require one to be particularly pointy."

"I've heard he can get pretty pointy!" Jess choked out while she laughed. 

"Nice one, Kida!" Eddie high-fived her as I realized what I'd said.

"My God! You two are ridiculously impossible!"

"Well, since that's been settled, and you've decided that they're impossible, let's get going." Kellen chimed in, surprising us all. He pulled me from my seat, tucked me under his arm, and directed me away from the table. "We have a lot of possible to get done."

I let him lead me a few feet, thinking what he'd said was all kinds of clever. I even childishly threw a look over my shoulder at my friends, sticking my tongue out at them. As I did so, my eyes swept over Jess and I registered the amused look that she was giving me. Oh hell no! I slapped Kellen's arm off my shoulder and marched out of the dining hall with him chuckling behind me. I was thankful when we exited the hall and were out in the cold night air, to have something to blame my reddened cheeks on.

"Stupid innuendo!" I muttered under my breath. Behind me, Kellen laughed even harder.

-.-

-.-

"What's that?" Kellen asked as I retrieved the folder that had slipped under the door.

"Maps for tomorrow." I sighed and dropped the newly acquired folder on the nightstand. Maps I'd have to use to find a place for us all to escape to.