31. Tag, Manhunt, Hide & Seek

On the floor of Kellen's room, both sitting at one end of the coffee table, he and Katia bickered

On the floor of Kellen's room, both sitting at one end of the coffee table, he and Katia bickered. It seemed they hadn't noticed that I'd returned, so I stood and watched them quietly for a moment.

"What did you do that for, anyways?"

"What? Kidnap Nicole?" Katia's tone was bored as she shuffled a couple papers in front of her. "I was trying to prove a point."

"What point exactly?"

"That you l—"

With a sweep of my arm, I cleared everything off the coffee table, sending it all clattering to the floor. "The roster." I slapped the book down.

Kellen moved to occupy the space between Katia and I. "The what?"

"The roster. It's going to make this a hell of a whole lot easier on us."

Kellen opened the book, turning a few pages almost reverently and then looked at me in awe. "Did you do that?"

"Jess and I, yes."

"Do what?" Katia impatiently grabbed the book. "Oh... wow. How do you even know—? Well, shit, you two are crazy stalkers! This is incredible!"

I laughed at her stupor as she flipped through. "Thanks."

"So, the best we could settle on while you were getting your stuff, Nicole, is that we need to get out of here." Katia didn't look all that convinced by what she said. "It's the only way the drugging will stop, and the only way we'll be able to get any help."

"But how?" Kellen rolled his eyes at his sister.

I dug through my bag and handed Kellen a pen and a large stack of cue cards. "We should regroup everyone based on strengths."

Katia moved to sit across from me, reading upside down. "That could work. It might be easier to work out a plan then."

"What kind of groups would we need?" Kellen asked pensively. "We could run off into the woods, or try to drive out of here, or live like mole people in the tunnels you found under the school, Cole."

"Drive out of here and risk being shot by the wardens?" Katia eyed Kellen like he was crazy. "But you do make a point, we need to have an idea of what we're doing first, and I can tell you now it won't be living in tunnels under the school. Gross!"

Our discussion quickly turned into the siblings bickering and me closing my eyes to block them out.

-.-

I woke suddenly, with a cold film of clammy sweat on my face. What the glitter? I was just with Katia and Kellen, planning the biggest mission any of us had, or would, ever carry out. Had it all been a dream? Had I not really convinced them? 

Had I actually managed to fall asleep despite my worry? But, it was all so vividly real. Sitting up quickly, I found myself thumping onto the floor in an ungraceful heap.