27. Prisoners

An awkward feeling jarred me awake in the morning, and I breathed in the unfamiliar smell of the sheets. The events of the last two days came back to me slowly and I groaned, realizing I was probably still in Leon's spare bed. There was a shuffle across the room, and I tensed; Kellen was still there.

"Hey. Morning." He sounded wide awake. Sitting in the cozy armchair in the corner of the room he wore the exact same thing as yesterday, unrumpled by sleep as I was.

"Is that my bag?" I questioned as I noticed my overstuffed backpack at his feet; how and when had he gotten it? "Did you sleep?"

"Yes and No."

I ran a hand through my hair as I sat up, and glanced at the clock, almost 5:00 am. Breakfast started at 7:00, and classes at 9:00; why in the world was I awake now? Why hadn't he slept?

"I used Jacks' spare key to get into your room a little while ago," he explained. "Sorry if I woke you. Your uniform and stuff are in your bag." That was nice of him. He paused uncomfortably, a slight pinking tinge gracing his face. "I warn you now, I may have messed up your... things... I also got your toothbrush, I hope. Leon usually leaves around 6:30 and doesn't come back till after his first class, you can get ready then."

Things? Had he gone through my underwear drawer? I was in the middle of a full blown mental panic attack when his quiet voice broke through my thoughts again. "Jess is fine, I checked on her while I was there."

"I thought you said they got her?"

"Actually, I said I thought it was possible, but I was right." His lips tugged upwards, amused. "I assume Ashley rescued her, because they were cuddled together when I got there."

I smirked. "So they lost two of us in one night."

"Yeah, and I only had to rescue one of you."

"You wouldn't have had to rescue me, if you guys didn't teach them the trick about doors that only lock from the outside."

He laughed, a low gravelly sound and raised a brow, pointing into the closet.

"I didn't know about that," I snapped. "And did you not notice the closet door was locked, too?"

Kellen laughed again; not the obnoxious laugh I was used to hearing when he was with the guys. I kind of liked this one, but was irritated that it was directed at me. "I'm just kidding, Hero. And I wasn't complaining about having to rescue you."

I smiled, despite wanting to stay mad at him, and glanced at the clock when he yawned. "Why don't you sleep for a bit and I'll wake you up before class?"

He shook his head, but still threw himself across the bottom of the bed, just below where my feet were. After a long time, in which I thought he had fallen asleep, he cleared his throat. "What'd you say to Katia to make her so angry?"

"Um..." Fidgeting with the edge of the blanket, I wondered what I should say. "I'd rather not..."

"She called me last night."

I felt a dread course through me; had she repeated my words? Because some of my rant was directed at him. "Uh huh?" I sounded strange and high pitched to myself, but I really hoped what he heard was faked interest.

"I asked her why she took you. She said she figured she'd be able to get info out of you, but it was useless because you clearly hate both of us and she's done with you, so whatever."

My mouth dropped open as he mimicked her tone; what in the world? I flushed as he turned onto his side and finally looked at me, expecting an answer. "I didn't say that."