02| reputation

C H I C A G O - 9 A M

──・・𖥸・・──

"Get up!"

My blankets are ripped off of me. Damon stands at the foot of my bed clutching them tightly.

"What're you doing, weirdass? Wanna see me in my underwear or something?" I tease.

He rolls his eyes. "You're sleeping, but we've gotta get to the airport in an hour if you want to make it to Myrtle Beach on time."

"You act like it takes me forever to get ready," I groan. "I even packed last night, I never do that."

"Yeah. Cause I made you do it."

"Why I did it doesn't matter, it's the fact that it was done that counts," I point out. "Now, get out."

He scoffs. "Gladly."

Once he's gone I grab the set of clothes I left out and head for the bathroom. Damon's got a point, I do need to be more on top of things, but that doesn't mean I need to like it. I graduated earlier this year, but I haven't got a clue what I'm going to do with my life. The only reason I went to college was because Dad expects me to take over our family's business, but the last thing I want to be is at the helm of an oil tycoon.

My shower is quicker than it would usually be, and I'm starting to understand why Damon would think it takes me forever to get ready. On any other day, I would have done a skin care routine that rivals Patrick Bateman's in its complexity. What can I say? It keeps the skin clear.

By the time I'm out of the bathroom, Damon's already loading up the car. "Are Mom and Dad still meeting us there?"

He nods. "Yeah, they're buying coffee for all of us."

"Great, I'm exhausted," I get in the driver's seat of the car.

"You're exhausted? You slept like a rock for ten hours straight," Damon replies, his shock evident by his tone.

"Okay? An additional two hours would have had me well rested and ready for this little adventure."

Damon shook his head and stared out the window. "Little my ass."

There's not a day that goes by that a person doesn't ask if Damon actually likes me. I always laugh and say, "of course he does," but sometimes I find myself questioning it. After all, something I learned when I was young is that you can love a person, but that doesn't mean you have to like them. Hell, it was a lesson I learned before I even left the womb.

After a few moments of silence, I finally speak. "Have you eaten yet?"

"Yeah. before I woke you up. Did you?"

"Nope." I stare at the road ahead, trying to ignore the rumble of my stomach.

"Why am I not surprised? Maybe you'll be able to grab something at the airport."