20| protection

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

Fuck. I should have been faster. If I had, we wouldn't be stuck in the situation that we are now. Whatever. I'm going to get us out of this, even if it ends in a bloody fist fight. The look of sheer terror on her face has my stomach doing flips. I hate seeing her like that, especially when she's been so much happier and full of life in the past few days. She'd made so much progress and he just had to come and fuck it all up.

Dove's trembling, and the tears are rolling down her cheeks. I hate to pull my gaze away from hers, but I need to get a good look at this asshole. I think she told me his name is Mick, or something similar. It's not going to matter when I shove my foot up his ass. I think I could take him in a fight, it's just a matter of getting her away from him.

Selene rounds the corner and I've got my distraction. If/when Selene gets his attention, I'll make sure to get her out of here. Something told me to stay with her this morning, but like a dumbass, I didn't trust my gut. Well, I'm not letting that happen again. Especially not with her.

"Oh, good, you found her," she says, sounding rather bored.

Mick does exactly what I was hoping. And it seems Dove had the same idea. The moment he looks away from her, she sprints over and is in my open arms in a matter of seconds. She's shaking so hard, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little scared for her. The only time I've ever seen a person so scared is in horror movies, but those aren't even real. This is what real terror is.

Mick's attention is back on us and he is not happy. It looks like when Dove broke the window she managed to cut his face. "Hey, I'm not sure what she told you, but nothing's going on. Petty lover's quarrel, I'm sure you get what I'm talking about."

Is he fuckin' serious? Does he really think I'm going to buy his appeal to my sensibilities for five seconds? There's no way in hell I'm letting her go back over there, and with the grip she's got on me, she has absolutely no intentions of letting go.

"Yeah. And I'm Mother Teresa. Listen, we're going to go, you're going to stay here. Cool? Cool." Before he even gets the opportunity to respond, I start moving toward the door with Dove pushed behind me.

Mick just smiles. He's got one of those sleazy smiles that gives you all the wrong vibes. "I can't let you do that. Leave my girlfriend alone and go home, man."

"I'm not your girlfriend," she murmurs.

The corner of his mouth twitches downward for the briefest moment. "Dovey, you don't know what you're talking about. Tell your friend to go home and we can talk this out like adults."

She presses her face against the back of my shirt. "Don't leave him with me," she whispers.

I take another step to the door and he takes one forward. No matter how much distance I try to put between the two of us, he's stalking after her like she's some piece of meat for him to take. It's revolting, if I'm being honest. Nonetheless, we're at the door. Home stretch, or whatever they say.