03| boardwalk

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

"There is no way in hell I'm letting  you do your own makeup."

I frown. "You always say my makeup looks good though.

"And it is!" She exclaims. "It's just not the right style for the occasion."

"What if I end up in the ocean and it all washes away?" I counter.

"Dove, if you end up in the water, then all that concealer you bought will go to waste," she points out.

I stay silent for a few minutes, considering what she said. "Touche...Do your worst."

She smiles, "that wasn't so hard, was it? Listen, I heard Hudson's got a little brother, he's just a year or two younger than you, maybe you'll be able to pull him.

"I'm pretty sure he's got a girlfriend, plus I'm not looking for a relationship," I respond as she applies foundation on my face.

"So? Babes, I promise that once I'm done with you, everyone'll be tripping over themselves to get a piece of you. Even Damon Whittaker."

I sigh and pipe down. It's like she didn't even hear the last part of what I said. I wish she would listen to me more, maybe even put my feelings into consideration. Even when we were in kindergarten, if it wasn't her way, then there was no way. It's just a consequence of being her friend. It's worth it, at least I think it is. It doesn't feel the greatest, but I'd rather have her as my friend than be without her.

"You're gonna be the center of attention, Dove." She stops for a moment. "Okay, maybe not dead center, but pretty damn close!"

She works on my face for around twenty more minutes before she stands me up and spins me to face the mirror. I audibly gasp at the difference. Usually, the most I'd do in terms of makeup is cover blemishes, mascara and gloss, but beside that I leave it all alone. Selene's put enough makeup on me that you'd think I was about to enter the Miss America pageant. Honestly, it almost brings me to tears. It's been years since I've felt this beautiful,  the last time I can remember feeling so confident was before the incident.

"Thank you," I say, barely louder than a whisper.

She smiles and squeezes me gently. "You deserve it. I'm going to go get ready in my room. Be ready in thirty, alright?"

I nod and glance at the comically large pile of concealer on my bed. For a moment, the thought of just going without it makes itself known, but it's snuffed out as quick as it came. The idea makes me chuckle. As if I'd ever do that. The last thing I need in my life right now is for people to point, laugh and ask "what the hell happened to her?"

It would be smart to put on my swimsuit before the insane amount of makeup, so that's what I do instead. Much to my chagrin, it's a tiny white bikini. To appease me, she let me choose all my accessories including a long, black swimsuit cover, a golden waist chain and black sunglasses.