12| smile

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

As soon as I open the door, my heart drops to my feet. I don't think I've ever seen such a distressed person in my life.

She looks so small and fragile, so different from the girl I've grown to consider a friend. I've never seen someone look so...sad. That's all it is. Sadness in its rawest form.

"What's wrong?" I say as I approach her cautiously, trying my best to look casual.

She opens her mouth like she's going to respond, but shuts it just as quickly as another tear runs down her face. Dove ducks her head and stares at the sheep laying in front of her. I sit down on the bed beside her, and thankfully she doesn't move away from me. What's troubling is her lack of reaction. All she does is continue to look at the stuffed animal.

After a few minutes, she looks at me, her eyes brimming with tears. "Can I get a hug?"

"Yea...yea, of course." I open my arms and she practically falls into them, wrapping her arms around my torso. Her entire body trembles, and I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't ache for her.

I run my hand through her hair, murmuring to her in an attempt to bring some source of relief. She pulls away and stares up at me with those big, hot chocolate colored eyes. The silence between us is thick enough to be cut with a knife. I want to break it desperately, but it's like my vocal cords have been tied into a tangle of knots. For once, my idiotic brain is actually going to be my downfall. Holy shit.

"She took my sheep while I was sleeping," Dove finally responds. "Jealousy, or some bullshit like that. Selene's got the biggest crush on you, and she blames me for why you won't reciprocate. Insane, right?"

The word disturbed doesn't begin to describe my feelings toward her words. She's jealous because I want to hang out with someone who hasn't been trying to kiss my ass for the past week? "I think the word insane is a little nice...what happened after she took the sheep?"

"Well," Dove's eyes look toward anything but me.

"We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," I murmur.

She swallows hard and shakes her head. "No, I need to talk about it."

I nod and keep quiet as she starts up again. "She wouldn't let him go so...naturally he ripped. And then she started to blame me for your lack of affection toward her and she...she brought up my shitty ex to try and get a rise out of me."

"What the fuck?" I was trying not to say anything, but how could I not respond to this? I knew Selene was a bitch, but I didn't realize how dirty she could actually be.

She nods grimly. "I wish I could say that this was the first time but it would be a lie."

"Can I ask a question?"