26| brookgreen

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

"Hey, can I come in?"

Dove opens the door to her room and smiles up at me. "Good morning."

"Morning." I return the smile. "You don't have anything planned for today, do you?"

She shakes her head. "No, what's up?"

"I was thinking that we could go somewhere if you're up for it," I tell her.

"What were you thinking?"

"It's a surprise." She pouts at my response but steps out of the room regardless.

"This better be good if you're refusing to tell me," she says.

I think it's better than good, amazing actually. I've been to Brookgreen Gardens so many times that I can't count them all. It's always been Mom's favorite part of coming down to Myrtle Beach. The thing is, Dove has lived here her whole life. What's the chance that this is nothing out of the ordinary for her? I might think it's amazing, but that doesn't mean she will.

As we drive down the highway, I lower the top of my car. It's a bright, sunny day. There's no reason we shouldn't drive with the wind blowing through our hair. Dove reaches up toward the sky, grinning all the while.

The words slip out before I can stop them. "You've got a one of a kind smile, Water Lily."

"You really mean it, Sunny?"

"I wouldn't dream of lying to you, especially about your smile."

As we pull into Brookgreen Gardens, Dove audibly gasps. Out of the corner of my eye, I watch as she leans over the door, grasping onto stray leaves as we drive by. Her laugh is laced with pure joy.  She was especially intrigued when we got to the part where weeping willows line the driveway and you can watch small animals running through the trees flanking either side of the road.

When we reach the gates, she lights up like a Christmas Tree. Just beyond the gates is a magnificent, square fountain with flowers of various colors lining its base. At the center of the fountain is a statue with other figures surrounding it, each spouting water to its left to form a circle.

"I've always wanted to visit Brookgreen Gardens," Dove muses. "We were going to once, but Dad ended up having to work that day."

"Well, is the surprise all you hoped it would be?" I ask as I pull into a park.

She smiles and kisses my cheek. "More than what I hoped. Now let's go!"

I get out and glance around the gardens. I think the older I get, the more I acknowledge its beauty. "This would be a great place for a wedding, don't you think?"

"Since when is marriage on your brain?" her nose scrunches up, but one look at her eyes and I know she's just teasing.

I shrug. "It was just an observation."