34| 9th circle

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

The first thing I do when I wake up is turn on the television. I just want to know if there's anyone looking for me. Sure, I've got my own plan, but it would be nice to know that there's outside support. Someone should have taught Mick to block channels, because it shouldn't be this easy for a kidnapping victim to turn on the news.

They featured the weather, some information on the dow jones, talked about some kids talking about their school activities, the usual news spiel. But the very end of the program is what I want. It's when they go over any crime, be it locally, statewide or national. They go over leads and how close the police are to finding the victim.

Laurie Prescott, the news anchor responsible for going over crime in the area comes on screen. "It's time for our Crime Watch sequence."

I crawl off the bed and sit in front of the television, so close that I can reach out and run my fingers over the glass screen. "5 days ago, 22-year-old Dove Parker was kidnapped in front of a beach house owned by the famous oil tycoon, Keith Whittaker. Reports state that she had been staying there with the tycoon's sons and their friends before the incident occurred. Detectives have identified a suspect in 23-year-old Michael Hale. They say that until otherwise stated he is to be considered dangerous, and that if anyone knows of his or Dove's whereabouts that they should reach out to the sheriff's department."

And then it's over. I cut the TV off and lean back on my hands. It's reassuring to know that they're looking for me, and that they know Mick has me, but that's all they know I guess. Either that, or they don't want to give away just how much they know. Selene said he's supposed to go into town today, and that she'll help me get out as soon as he's gone. While I'm glad to have her help, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Family has an inherent loyalty to each other. Who's to say that she won't change her mind and tell him our plan?

I can't think of that. It's my 6th day here. 6 days too long. Right now, I need to focus on keeping up the act for as long as necessary. When I hear footsteps on the stairs, I stand up and sit on the bed, trying my best to look like I'd just gotten up. It's not hard to look exhausted, I haven't slept a wink since I ended up here. The lock on the door clicks and it swings up, revealing Mick in all his horrific glory. He walks over to me in one, two, three quick strides, crouching down in front of me. I hate how he smiles at me like he loves me. There's no love in his heart. Only an empty black hole.

"Good morning, my love. Bad news, I gotta leave the house for a while, not too long though. Good news though, Selene promised to watch you. Don't give her any trouble, or you're not going to like me when I get back."

I almost laugh. I don't like him any day. All his abuse would do is make my hatred for him grow more, if that's possible. He pulls me down to his level, forcing my lips against mine. Then, Mick gets up and walks out of the room. He doesn't lock me inside, but I wait until I hear him reach the bottom of the stairs. I leave the room, but don't dare go down the stairs until the front door shuts behind him. Selene walks in front of the staircase and motions for me to come down. I would run down the stairs if I could, but I don't want to slip on the stairs. Still, I make it down in record time.

"Alright, what's the plan?" I ask.

"Hudson's going to meet us at the bus station 10 minutes from here at 12. I told him if we're more than 10 minutes late, then he should come straight here and call the cops on his way over," she explains, holding my phone out to me.

I take it and glance down at all the text messages from my friends. "Can I call them?"

She shakes her head. "No time, it's already 11:40. We can't take my car or else Mick'll get suspicious, so we're going to run there. That's cool with you, or should we get an Uber?"

"Ha-ha, very funny. Let's get out of here."

Selene smiles at me. A genuine, kind smile. "I thought you'd never ask."

She opens the door and for the first time in days, I feel the sunlight on my skin. It's this warm, tingling sensation like getting enveloped in a hug by a friend. All the exhaustion I've felt for the past few days seemingly evaporates. I feel like a flower whose petals are unfurling at the beginning of spring. As much as I would love to stay here and soak in the sun's rays, we don't have time for that. As soon as Selene closes the door, we take off toward the bus station.

The sidewalk hurts on my barely protected feet, rocks lodging themselves in the soft skin, but I don't care. My lungs burn as I pull in ragged breaths, my arms ache from pumping them so fiercely. I can just make out the shape of the bus station. It's so close, I feel like I could reach out and grab it,

That is, until a red Jaguar XJR pulls up onto the sidewalk right in front of us.

Everything happens so fast.

Selene and I look at each other and attempt to run around the car. Mick opens the door and hits Selene with it, knocking her into the hood of the car. She falls onto her back, coughing and trying to get up. He pays her no mind as he turns his assault on me. I try so hard to run away. I make it around the car and run for my life. The bus station is so close. If I can make it, even if Hudson's not there yet, I can call the cops and escape from this never-ending nightmare. I hope Selene forgives me for running, I'm sure she understands.

I make it close enough to see that beautiful, black Mustang pull into the parking lot when Mick tackles me. I knew it hurt when football players tackled each other, but I never knew how much it hurt until today. The breath is knocked out of me as I collide with the ground, my palms scraping against the concrete. We tumble over and over until Mick has me pinned. We've been in this position so many times. Part of me knew I'd die like this, but I always told myself that it was just a nightmare. The past few days have taught me that nightmares can be just as real as the waking world.

He may not have been able to break my spirit with abuse, but the thought of dying when I still have so much to say to so many people destroys me. Hot, salty tears spill onto my cheeks. I can't hide my fear anymore. He smiles menacingly as he stares down at me. My pain is bringing him joy, but I can't help it.

"Please don't kill me," I plead with him.

Mick bursts into a fit of laughter. "You just don't know how to fucking listen, Dove! That's been your problem since you were 17 years old and now it's going to be the death of you! You are so goddamn stupid that you don't even deserve mercy anymore!"

Mick pulls out that pocket knife that has hurt me more times than I can count. Suddenly, I feel like that girl in the Walmart parking lot, pinned down without a hope of escaping. I thought I was going to die back then, but he spared me. He wouldn't do that a second time. Hudson's probably in the bus station, blissfully unaware that we got so close to seeing each other again. All I want is to wrap up in his strong embrace. In my last moments, I'll think of his voice. I'll think of my song. And most of all, I'll think of how much I care about that beautiful boy with a heart of gold.

As Mick raises the knife, someone shouts my name. And as he brings it down, I see Hudson running toward us. But all the lights in the world turn off as the knife comes into contact with my flesh.

And then...nothing.

──・・𖥸・・──