28| birthday

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

It is currently 4am on July 11th.

I woke up a few minutes ago. At first I was startled by the cool air on my bare skin, but the short period of grogginess is gone when I remember why I woke up here. In Hudson's bed. Completely naked.

But that's not what keeps me up. No, instead it's the fact that it's 4am on July 11th.

I'm 22 years old now.

I never thought I'd make it this far in life, nor did I think I would be genuinely happy to be here. Nobody here knows it's my birthday, but that's on purpose. The past few birthdays have been so awful that I try not to think about it. Last year, Mick sent me a torn up teddy bear I'd gotten him to my house. Almost immediately, I had Selene move in. The year before that...I don't want to talk about my 20th. Or my 19th. Anything after 18 is too much for me.

Hudson doesn't know it, but yesterday he gave me the best birthday gift a girl could ask for. A song all about me. At face value, no one would know it's for me, not without the knowledge of my middle name. But I think that makes it even better. It's like our own secret between us and whoever we decide to share the information with. I glance over at where he lays. I can make him out enough to tell he's rolled on his side, facing away from me. Against my better judgment, I lean over and kiss his cheek. His eyelids flutter slightly, but he doesn't stir.

I check my phone and find two messages. One from Dad and one from Lucas. While I have no issue falling asleep at night, the two of them could be considered insomniacs. I know Dad is a diagnosed insomniac, but I'm not sure about Lucas. They both take melatonin to go to bed, that's all I know. I decide to open Dad's first.

Dad: Happy birthday, Princess. I love you.

Dove: I love you too, Dad. Try and get some sleep soon.

Then, I open Lucas's.

Lucas: Happy birthday, hermanita! I'll be in town around noon if you want to get started on your house.

Dove: Sounds good. I'll see you when you get here. :)

I turn off my phone and lay down beside Hudson, pressing my front to his back. He's warm in comparison to the frigid air of his room. Normally, I wouldn't mind the temperature, but under those circumstances I'm usually clothed. Not that I'm complaining, about that part at least. Hudson turns over, now wide awake. He smiles at me and I return it.

"What're you awake for?" he asks sleepily.

"Couldn't sleep. Why're you awake?"

"'Cause you are."

I smile. "Fair enough...I'm sorry I woke you."

He shakes his head and wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me closer. "What's wrong?"