Life

Flashback -

"What do you think about India? Do you think you'll like it?"

Kakyoin asked, and you nodded. You were leaning against the wall of a creaky metal boat you had boarded to get to India once you got off the train. You could feel the ship moving through the water, how the boat swayed and rocked back and forth as it moved forward.

"Yeah, I heard their sweets are a lot different than Japanese sweets and American candy. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like."

"He meant the atmosphere, not the candy. Is that all you ever think about?"

Jotaro frowned at you as you popped a lemon drop into your mouth. It shocked your tongue for a moment. You could feel the sharp, sour taste of it in the back of your throat.

"No. But I'm sure I'm going to like India, not just the candy. Lemon drop?"

You held the bag of sour yellow candies up for Jotaro to take, and Jotaro dismissed you, looking away and tilting his hat down as he shook his head, and you put the candy away. It caused a semi-loud crinkling noise as you pushed the bag into the side pocket of your backpack.

I bet he's the type to like bitter things or things that are richer in flavor, like dark chocolate and truffles.

Jostle noticed you looking at him, and you slowly smiled.

"Hey, Jotaro. Guess what type of candy you'd be."

Jotaro frowned.

"No."

His refusal to guess didn't faze you, and you just contained your laughter so you could speak.

"Star-platinum-bursts."

Your smile widened to a grin, and Kakyoin covered his mouth to cover a small laugh, and Joseph hit Jotaro's back with a hearty laugh. Even Polnareff patted Jotaro's shoulder with a cheerful smile.

Jotaro glared at your happy face and bright laugh. He didn't care to respond verbally, not to you, and not to that crack. Avdol shook his head with a small smile and closed his eyes, entertained at the sight of you and Jotaro. Complete opposites in life, yet, Jotaro tolerated you well.

"And you said her actions were those of an adult."

Joseph looked at Avdol to his left and grinned. Becoming cheeky as Avdol closed his eyes.

"I listed specific actions. She reminds me of you, Mr. Joestar, and your actions. Aren't you an adult?"

This earned Avdol a huff in reply from Joseph, only because Avdol was right. Meanwhile, Jotaro jabbed your side with his elbow to make you stop smiling. It only made you wheeze

"Ouch, Jotar-"

"It seems we've arrived."

Avdol spoke, interrupting you as the boat reached the port, and the small bridge was extended to connect the ship to the land. Avdol pushed open the door, causing a loud squeak to drag on until the door was fully open.

"We're finally here, Calcutta India."

Avdol announced as you set foot on land.

"This'll be fun."

Five minutes later, you were surrounded by scores of people. Men, women, and children. You had taken off your backpack and hugged it to your chest after your bag of lemon drops had been taken.

Gah! I should have put it inside my backpack, not the pocket on the side!

Polnareff lifted his luggage over his head after Kakyoin announced his wallet had been stolen to protect his own stuff. Already the chaos has begun, which only meant more was sure to follow in its wake.