Snap

You awoke to the car driving over a rocky road, causing your head to hit the window and wake you up. Your vision was fuzzy, blurred, and everything looked mushy for a time. The car took a sudden turn and passed a red vehicle driving in front of you. Which caused your head to slam against the car door forcefully. That helped wake you up.

You rubbed the side of your head and yawned into your hand. It was already morning and the voices of Joseph talking to Polnareff about driving less recklessly sounded slurred. Previously they had been talking about the way to Pakistan, and the humming of the motor and feeling of the heat of the car was getting to you after feeling stiff and almost cold from the night.

In your fazed mind, you wondered how Polnareff was holding up. He drove the entire night, unless he and Joseph switched off during the night, which you doubted.

"Sleep well?"

Kakyoin asked when he saw you moving around. You nodded, squinting from the brightness of the sun as you looked through the front window of the car. What you saw when your eyes focused made you suddenly sit up straight, resulting in your back cracking.

"It's Anne!"

You yelled, and Polnareff hit the brakes violently; you jerked forward, and so did every man in the back. The rest looked ahead like you were. Polnareff saw someone short standing by a sign. A figure wearing light blue overalls, a pink shirt underneath, and a familiar cap on top of wavy black hair. She stuck her thumb out like a hitchhiker and then took her hat off, turning her hitchhiker's thumb into a peace sign.

"Give me a lift?"

She spoke as the crusaders all had their separate reactions. Joseph was leaning up towards the front seats to get a closer look, Kakyoin's lips were opened, Polnareff had his jaw clenched and looked at her crazily, and Jotaro pulled his hat down and muttered something to himself.

"Keep driving."

Jotaro spoke and Polnareff went to do just that, but you opened the car door and Polnareff stopped the car again, making people jolt forward. He and the rest of the crusaders, especially Jotaro, knew what you were about to do when you smiled and waved happily. Polnareff groaned, letting his forehead fall onto the steering wheel as Joseph sighed.

"Sure thing!"

A minute later, Anne was sitting in your lap, your bag on the car floor between your feet, and Polnareff was driving again. You back-hugged her to keep her secure, just like you'd do with your younger brother on the bus.

"I'm a girl. Soon I'll be wearing a bra and doing makeup for the boys. I'd look strange traveling the world like that, so I have to travel now. I have to run away from home and experience the romance of seeing the world. I need to have fun, be free."

Anne spoke as she crossed her arms and filled the car with her justification for being on the road. Polnareff was gaining eye age with each passing second. You noticed when you glanced at Polnareff after you saw the red car from before coming up from behind. Polnareff didn't miss it either and started to speed up.

"I am sorry for lying about going to meet my dad in Singapore, but you can forget about that and forgive me, right?"

Anne went on with her explanation, and you switched your eyes from the side view mirror to her, humming and smiling and about to say yes when the car behind you started honking.

"It's the car from before."

Jotaro stated, saying what all of you, minus Anne, were thinking. The car that was previously behind you and being slow was now right on your tail.

"Let them pass."

Kakyoin spoke and Polnareff rolled down his window, sticking his hand out and signaling for the car to pass him as he drove to the left to make room for the vehicle. But almost as soon as the car passed, it slowed down and kicked up a major dust cloud that got into the car. You covered your mouth and nose and used your free hand to cover Anne's for her while the other crusaders coughed and did the same.