20. split

🎵Walking Blind — Aidan Hawken

Ella's POV

"Ella, lov—Ella, we're here."

I feel a hand shake my shoulder and my eyes flutter open, my shoulder ablaze from Harry's touch.

My vision slowly adjusts to the dark street, until I realize I'm in my car, parked up in front of my condo. I frown, immediately shutting my eyes again.

How the hell am I still drunk?

"I'm going back to sleep," I mumble, resting my head against the window and I hear Harry softly chuckle from beside me.

My head feels as though it's going to split open and my vision swims whenever I open my eyes.

I will fall asleep right here in my car — I decide this as Harry gently nudges me again.

"Ella, you've gotta get up," he whispers and I swat at his arm.

"I'm sleeping," I reply in a mumble and Harry laughs quietly; even his soft laughter sounds like music.

Bits and pieces of the night flash in the back of my mind, but I don't want to think about them right now.

So much has happened in the past 24 hours alone, I deserve a few hours of ignorant bliss.

I can think about everything in the morning.

There is one thing I want, though.

"I want to go to the water," I speak suddenly and Harry only laughs again.

"Your clothes are still soaking from you splashing around in the ocean," he replies with a chuckle. "Did you already forget?"

"Oh!" I gasp, my eyes flashing open, suddenly remembering playing in the ocean however long ago with Harry. "Can we go back?"

I turn to look at Harry, and although my vision is swimming, my eyes seem to focus in on him. His lips are pink as he laughs, a single curl hanging down his forehead.

It's too dark to make out the exact shade of green that his eyes are, but I imagine them to resemble the color of sea-foam. Like at the beach earlier today. They're always so much more lighter during the summer.

He's pretty.

"You're pretty," I whisper, and a twinkle seems to flash in Harry's eyes.

Like stars — hell, he gives the stars a run for their money. I don't need to look up at the sky, not when I can look into Harry's eyes. All the stars in the universe seem to reside in them.

"You're still drunk," he replies, shaking his head, but I still note the small smile that's crept on his lips.

"Not that much!"

"Your eyes are rimmed red," Harry points out, and I make the effort to blink rapidly. Maybe I can blink all the red away. That'll show him I'm not drunk, right?

Harry throws his head back in laughter, louder than his soft laughs from a few minutes ago, and I swear it's like I can hear a whole symphony flooding through my ears.

"You got to get inside, look, you can barely keeps your eyes open!" He says after his laughter dies down.

Oh, shoot — I didn't even notice my eyes drooped shut again.

I force my eyes open, but Harry only laughs again. "Come on," he says, opening up the driver's side door. "You aren't going to remember tonight at all." He adds with another laugh.