29. solace and safety

🎵Look After You — The Fray

Harry's POV

"I've got you, I always got you, baby," I whisper softly, brushing the loose strand of hair away from Aurelia's face.

Her features have finally softened, the crease between her brows disappeared as she finally sinks into a deep sleep.

Her body gently heaves up and down, her arms tightly wrapped around my torso, gripping me as if I'm her anchor.

Her cheek is squished against my abdomen; she looks absolutely adorable. She looks peaceful, and it brings me peace seeing her like this.

I can only imagine the war that's been brewing in her mind throughout this entire day.

I never thought I'd be able to hold her like this again, wrapped up in my arms where she seeks solace and safety. I never thought she'd even find comfort in my arms like this ever again.

It knocked the wind out of me, seeing her like that her eyes were sunken in, her usual pink cheeks pale. She just seemed tired...drained.

It was strange and a bit frightening, I'll admit, seeing her like that. So lifeless, when she normally embodies life itself.

But the moment I called her name, she turned around and settled those beautiful eyes on me. They didn't seem full of light, but the minute our eyes met, it was like I could see the warmth beginning to gradually rush through them again.

She had immediately got up and walked towards me, crashing into me as she wrapped her little arms around my waist and buried her face in my chest, taking us all by surprise, but especially me.

I knew that she needed me; I meant it when I said there wasn't anything that I wouldn't do for Aurelia.

I could feel her body shake with silent sobs as she cried into my chest, I could feel her hot tears wetting my shirt, but I didn't care. I only wrapped my arms tighter around her, a way of telling her that it was okay.

It was okay for her to let her tears fall, it was okay to let it all out. She needed to.

She didn't want to let go of me, and frankly, I didn't want to, either. I had helped her into one of the bedrooms and laid beside her on the bed, but she crawled her way over to me and laid her head on my chest.

I had forgotten how well her body fit against mine, as if she was made just for me. Ella had continued to cry softly into my chest and all I could do was brush her hair back and whisper to her that I was here, that she wasn't alone.

The circumstances are absolutely dreadful;  and as content as my body is right now, feeling her warmth against me like this and knowing that I can bring this comfort and ease of mind to her, my mind is anything but.

The moment Lydia called me, I knew something was wrong just by the tone of her voice.

"Hey, Lyds," I answered the phone, resting my back against the chair in the corner of my hotel room. I was exhausted — the concert finished about two hours ago, and I was so worn out.

Atlanta was amazing; the crowd was just as magnetic as the crowd back in Orlando, if not more. The minute I came off stage, however, it was like my high dissipated, especially with this phonecall.

"Hey, Harry, how was the show?" Lydia asked quietly, which immediately made me furrow my brows together. She sounded...off.

Lydia never spoke quietly like this — even if she was exhausted, she'd still manage to shout at the top of her lungs.