34. space and time

🎵Sun — Sleeping At Last

Harry's POV

"What do you mean, they aren't going to the funeral tomorrow?" I heard Brad shout in the background of the phonecall.

I grit my teeth, pulling the phone away from my ear, just as Aurelia slightly shifts with the sound. She's fast asleep, curled up on my chest, and I can't deny that I haven't been on cloud nine with her snuggled close to me like this.

She quickly fell asleep on the beach only about an hour ago, her body slumped against mine. Not having the heart to wake her, I carefully carried her to the bedroom and laid her on the bed.

Just as I was about to leave, her fingers clutched at my tshirt, clinging onto me, and I selfishly got into the bed with her, relishing in the feeling of her snuggling against me.

She seems much more peaceful as she sleeps, even more so tonight than the previous ones. I know it had to be her finally getting all of her emotions out, I can only imagine all the weight off her shoulders and how that must have felt like for her.

I made a promise to myself, a year ago when I first began loving her — whenever her load got too heavy, I'd carry it for her.

I meant it.

I will gladly take her pain if it meant it'd ease her struggles, ease her worries, ease her of her burdens.

"Can you fuck off, Brad? Seriously!" Lydia retorts over the phone. "She's not obligated to fucking go anywhere."

Bradley was getting on my last damn nerve.

"What's his problem?" I mumble, wanting Lydia to keep telling Brad off.

I've been biting my tongue these past few days with his little snarky remarks, especially out of my love and respect for Aurelia, but it was starting to really annoy me.

Calm down, Harry, I tell myself. Breathe, you're a better man now.

"He swears he knows best for her, when he couldn't be further from it," Lydia says, and I can picture her rolling her eyes. "After seeing her break down like that, Harry...fuck. You did the right thing."

"You all did, too," I reply, gently brushing Aurelia's hair back from her face. Her cheek is squished against my abdomen and I smile at how adorable she is.

My little sunflower.

"I had no idea, Harry," Lydia sighs over the phone. "I'm her best friend, I'm supposed to know how she feels and I had no idea she felt that way. God, I'm so fucking shitty."

I shake my head, switching the phone over onto my other ear. "Stop it, Lyds. You did the right thing, bringing her here and staying by her side, all of you did. She's lucky to have friends like you."

"She's lucky to have you, Harry. None of us could get through to her, not like how you did.."

"I love her, Lyds," I say softly, looking back down at the light of my life again. Everytime my eyes fall on Aurelia, it's like I'm seeing her for the first time all over again.

Her hair is sprawled out against my chest, her cheeks and nose a slight shade of pink with the heat of the French summer. Her lips are slightly parted as she breathes evenly; I can feel the rise and fall of her chest against mine.

Golden.

I am so in love with this golden woman.

"I know," Lydia speaks over the phone. We're both silent for a while until Lydia finally speaks again.