Chapter 21 - Father, I'm gay

*Harry/narrator pov*
Lucius Malfoy swept into the dining room after his wife, taking a seat in one of the ornate mahogany chairs at the long table.

"Draco." he said shortly with a nod.

"Father."

Lucius' eyes swept the room and caught sight of Harry. "And what have we done for Saint Potter to grace us with his presence?" He asked, mouth curling into a sneer. Narcissa shot him a reprimanding glare at his rudeness.

"I- um- hi, Mr. Malfoy." Harry said awkwardly.

Lucius flat out ignored him. "Why are you here, Draco?"

"I wanted to see you."

"Don't lie." Mr. Malfoy hissed and Draco winced.

"I- I wanted to tell you something, father."

"Spit it out then, boy."

"Um... ok... I... I-"

Harry gave Draco's hand a reassuring squeeze and Draco took a deep breath.

"Father, I'm gay."

"And why does it make the slightest difference to me who's fucking you." Said Mr. Malfoy flatly. Draco blinked.

"We haven't... um..."

Narcissa slapped her husband's hand. "Could you at least try to be supportive of your son? Honestly." She shook her head in disbelief.

"I'll admit you never seemed to have much chemistry with Astoria. Shame. She came from a good family. But the question still stands - in what way does this make the slightest difference to me?" Asked Mr. Malfoy, most of the aggression gone from his voice as he glanced at his wife in surprise.

Draco seemed to be slightly lost for words and the table was silent for a minute.

"Because... um, because that person who's, um, dating him, is me?" Came Harry's voice, all but forgotten by the three Malfoys.

Draco gulped. "Father, meet my boyfriend... Harry Potter."

***

*Draco pov*

For a moment, my father said nothing. He just stared between the two of us, face unreadable. Then he said, sneering once again, "it is not my concern, Draco, as I said before, who is fucking you. If you choose to contaminate our line with the son of a Mudblood, so be it. After all, the Dark Lord himself was half-Muggle, was he not?" His voice was soft and mocking, but while his disapproval of Harry was obvious, I realised it could have gone much worse.

"Um. Yes. Great," I said hastily before Harry's look of pure venom landed him in trouble. "That's everything, I think." I stood, steps a little shaky, leading Harry to the fireplace, giving him a look that implored him to keep his mouth shut about my father's racism.

Lucius have a derisive snort as we left. My face burned, but Harry only said calmly, "Have a good day, Mr. Malfoy. It was nice seeing you," and then yelled "McGonagall's office!" into an explosion of green flames.

***

*Harry/narrator pov*
Draco stared at his boyfriend as Harry shot out of McGonagall's fireplace after him. She wasn't there - probably gone to lunch. It was just after noon.

Harry looked at him, brows raised. "That was not how I thought that would go."

At last, Draco seemed to find his words. "That- you just-" he paused. "I'm not sure anyone has ever spoken to my father like that."

"Well, it certainly wasn't my ideal lecture in which I call him out on being a prejudiced m-"

"No, you didn't react to him." Draco interrupted. "It drives him crazy. I love you for a lot of reasons but right now that is right there at the top."

Harry didn't hear the rest of Draco's sentence, only the word 'love'. He stood there, dumbfounded, and Draco stopped talking, realised what he'd said, and flushed a brilliant shade of crimson.

"Oh. I didn't mean for it to come out like that. Um. Can we pretend this never happened? I don't want it to ruin everything, I-"

"Draco Malfoy, do you really think I would have gone this far with you if I wasn't in love with you?" Harry interrupted.

"I- I guess not." Draco was quiet for a moment. "That wasn't how I wanted that to come out."

"How would you have done it?" Harry asked gently, genuinely curious.

Draco thought for a moment.

"I would have made an enormous spectacle out of it. Like, yelled from on top of our table in the Great Hall, "I AM IN LOVE WITH HARRY POTTER!" or written I love you in red spray-paint across Hogwarts Bridge. Or..." He stopped to consider again. "I might have made it a really small thing, slipped it in between kisses. Or said it quietly to you after something awful that you've helped me with, like after you rescued me from- from the Death Eaters. I wanted to tell you after that, so many times. I wasn't sure how you'd react, though, so I kept my mouth shut."

"I wanted to tell you at the Christening." Said Harry. "When you told - him to take his filthy hands off me. When you said that I was your boyfriend. Because Merlin, if that wasn't the best feeling of my life."

"Why didn't you?"

"I didn't want to give you any more anxiety. You were already dealing with so much, I didn't want to add to that burden."

"Knowing that you love me could never be a burden." Draco took one soot-covered hand and cupped Harry's face, neither boy caring about the black smudge it left behind, staring into Harry's eyes as he leaned in, leaving a gentle kiss on Harry's lips. "Let's start over, shall we? Say this properly, in between kisses."

Harry felt a grin break across his face. He kissed Draco once, twice.

"I love you."

Both leaned towards each other, kissing again, this time deeper, and Draco murmured against Harry's lips,

"I love you too."

***

Minerva McGonagall approached her door, a half-eaten Pumpkin Pasty in her hand from lunch.

It was slightly ajar. Through it, she could just see two soot-covered boys, one with jet-black hair, one blond, in front of her fireplace, making out as if they were the only two people on earth and nothing could stop them.

Smiling to herself, McGonagall gently eased the door shut and left them to it.

End

A/N

I was gonna call this chapter 'the L word' but then I realised it would be a huge spoiler, so.

That was kind of a strange coming-out scene. I honestly thought Lucius was gonna have a much worse reaction, but I wrote that and it didn't really fit, so I rewrote it in a way that I think fit better.

I've been writing this for nearly a year. It's so surreal how this has grown, from 1k reads at the end of January, six months after I first started, to 2k at the end of February to 3k now (early April). I can't stress enough how grateful I am for all of you.

Thank you again

-immortalsheep05❤️