Chapter 12 - Trouble in paradise

*Harry/narrator pov*
The chatter of the Three Broomsticks was deafening as 2.00pm approached. In an attempt to pass the time, Harry decided to try to get to know Draco, to distract from his growing anxiety.

"What was your childhood like, Draco?"

Draco looked startled. "You know most of it, I think." He said eventually. "My father raised me to hate Muggles and Muggle-Borns, and to think I was superior because of my lineage... that sucked eventually... he was a really strange guy sometimes, my dad. One moment his usual snooty self, the next moment... he'd just totally lose it. Um... what else." He said hastily, attempting to change the subject. "There was this one guy, Davis, a cousin of my mum's or something, I don't really know- anyway, he became a Death Eater, convinced my dad that was what was best for me. I think my dad might have let me choose my path, even though I know he'd have been disappointed if I hadn't joined the Dark Lord. Davis was crazily loyal to him, though. Almost on a par with Bellatrix."

At this Draco seemed to jolt himself out of a daze. "I'm rambling, aren't I? Sorry."

"That's okay. I like hearing about your past."

"Well, it is nearly 2.00. I should stop."

Just then, on the exact chime of the hour (how typical of Hermione, Harry thought) they appeared at the door with a crack.

Harry jumped, but recovered himself quickly as a redhead and a brunette came to their table.

"Hi, Harry." Said Hermione brightly. "How are you?"

Ron looked suspiciously at Draco before greeting Harry, and they spent a few minutes catching up about the Ministry and Harry's NEWTs.

"Okay, I can't really just sit here and say nothing anymore... Harry, what on earth is Malfoy doing here?" Ron asked, viciously enough that it made both Harry and Draco wince slightly.

"Well, that's kind of why I asked you to come today." Harry thought it was better just to stop delaying. "I'm bisexual, and Draco..." Harry fidgeted a bit. "He's my boyfriend."

"Harry," said Hermione, her brow furrowing slightly, "we love and support you no matter what, but.... Malfoy? You had to pick him of all people?"

"He's changed, Hermione." Harry said, a little more snappishly than he would have liked.

"If you say so." Said Hermione doubtfully. Ron, too, looked unconvinced.

Draco looked thoroughly uncomfortable.

"I should get Butterbeers." He smiled at Harry half-heartedly and left hastily in the direction of the bar.

Harry suddenly became rather interested in the pattern of wood on the table. He glanced up at Ron, wondering if he would say anything.

"Look," said Ron hesitantly, "I haven't got a problem with you being bi. Love is love. But I don't understand... Malfoy? I mean - he's a Death Eater, for god's sake. And even if I ignore that, he bullied us for years! And you're just going to ignore all that because of some bullshit about how he's changed?"

"I'm not asking you to understand." Said Harry quietly. "But Draco... he's smart, he's funny... he pretends like he doesn't care but really he's the sweetest person in the world and he's too frightened to show his feelings. If you don't see that in him, I'm not blaming you, but regardless of what you think, he's my boyfriend, and that's my decision to make. Could you accept us, even if you don't get it?"

Hermione sighed. "Look, if you get your heart broken then you'll know you should have listened right now. Okay? People like Draco Malfoy... I don't think they change. I think he'll see you as a conquest, that he's finally snared the Chosen One's heart. But that's your mistake to make. And if I'm right, me and Ron will still be here for you. I'm just warning you. You need to know what you're getting yourself into." Ron nodded.

Harry knew this was the best he'd get from his friends, and he knew that it was only natural for them to be wary. So he nodded. "I'm prepared to take that risk. I have total faith in him."

There was a silence, and the chattering of the pub seemed to fade slightly.

"Okay, mate." Said Ron finally. "You know what you're getting yourself into... just be careful."

Harry nodded as the room fell totally silent and a familiar voice called from the top of a table:

"Hey guys... we have something to share with you." It was Ginny, on top of a table, with Luna. Without another word they kissed, right there in front of everyone.

There was applause from all around, and cheering from many tables and from outside. Ron was among them.

"Always hoped they'd end up together," he said to Harry, grinning. "She came out to us a few years ago, and we've all been shipping it ever since."

Ginny, who had spotted Ron, beamed, having seen him clapping and cheering, and promptly drew Luna in for another kiss. They left the publicity of the pub, seemingly joined at the lips.

Harry smiled, but it quickly faded as he suddenly noticed the absence of his boyfriend. "I should go see where Draco's got to." He said to Ron. "He never came back with those Butterbeers."

Ron nodded. Harry got up from the table, left in the direction of the bar. Madame Rosmerta stood there as usual, cleaning some Butterbeer glasses.

"Can I help you, dear?" She asked kindly, seeing Harry's slightly worried expression.

"Yeah, actually... I'm looking for someone. Draco Malfoy. He left to get us drinks, and he never came back."

"He hasn't been near the bar at all, I don't think." Said Rosmerta thoughtfully. "He went in the direction of the bathrooms a while ago. Seemed in quite a hurry, if you ask me."

"Thanks," said Harry, growing more anxious by the second. Had Draco had another panic attack? What if he was hurt? Of course, his panic attacks were rarer now since he'd been going to therapy, but what if he was having a relapse or something? Why hadn't he followed him?

He set off at speed towards the bathrooms, his breathing getting faster and faster. But as he went down the little staircase leading to the toilets, he saw something that made his heart stop.

A blond head, with its back to him.

Longer blonde hair, darker, honey-blonde, messy. A girl, her hands fisted in the platinum blond hair.

A girl, who Draco Malfoy was kissing.

A/N
I'm cruel, I know. But I felt it was high time for some real drama. 😏
Sorry this chapter took so long!