Surprises

Disclaimer- I Know nothing about childbirth in the 1950s so yeah!!

April 26th 1951

"DONNY!" I shouted from our bedroom. "DONNY!" I could feel the warm tears flowing down my cheeks.

"Julia? You okay up there?"

"DONNY." I sobbed. I heard his feet run up the stairs. He rushed into our room. "It's happening Donny. Our baby is coming." I cried. He ran to my side and put his arms around me.

"You're going to be okay Julia. I know you are. I'm right here for you my love. Let's get you to the hospital."

"You won't leave my side will you Donny? I need you here." I cried.

"I'll be right here Angel. I won't leave your side at all love." He helped me to my feet and grabbed our bag, he assisted me down the stairs. He got me into his car and then we drove off. "Deep breaths Julia. Deep breaths. You're going to be okay."

"Gosh I feel like there's two of them in here, I've grown so much." I joked.

"Well the doctor said it was likely just one baby, but you can't be sure until you give birth."

"Very reassuring. Thanks Donny." I groaned. He reached over and took my hand in his temporarily.

"You'll be fine love. I'm here, your doctor will be there. We can use the hospital phone to call your Ma and Oliver and my dad." I nodded and soon enough we were at the hospital. Once again Donny did everything he could to help me. Halfway to the entrance my water broke.

"Ahhh." I clutched my stomach and groaned in pain, now soaking wet. "Donny, we gotta hurry, my water just broke." He helped me and once inside we were led straight to a clean room for me to deliver our baby in. Contractions were painful, really painful but Donny helped me though them and he was the sweetest guy in the world. He'd let me squeeze his hand to help with the pain.

"Mrs Novitski. You're 10cm dilated which means you gotta start pushing."

"Can I count for her?" Donny asked and the doctor said he could. "You got this honey." He held my hand and I squeezed it while he counted up to 10. I then took a short break and we started again. This kept going. "You're almost there Julia, so close now."

"One more push Julia." The doctor said, so I pushed again, squeezing Donny's hand. "And she's here. A little girl." The nurses that surrounded Donny and I cleaned up the baby and placed her on my chest.

"Little Flora." I whispered. "I love you so much." Suddenly I was overcome with pain. It felt like contractions again. "What's happening?" There was commotion as the doctor and nurses tried to work out why I was still in pain, and another nurse assisted Donny in cutting the umbilical cord. I continued to rub Flora's back when pain shot through me again.

"Julia, you'll be just fine." Donny said kissing my forehead. "I'm so proud of you, and our baby girl."

"Mrs Novitski, were you aware you were expecting twins?" A nurse suddenly said. I shot my head up stared at the nurse then at Donny.

"Twins?" We said in unison.

"Yes, this pain you're experiencing is contractions for your second child. You need to start pushing now." Flora was taken from me and I just cried as I grabbed Donny's hand, squeezing tightly.

"We can't do this Donny."

"Yes we can. We will be just fine, I promise. Julia look at me." I looked up and saw so much love in his deep brown eyes that I smiled. "I know we can do this. We always wanted two kids, we're just having two a little earlier than planned. And I will be there for you and Flora and this one forever. You three are my whole world." He leant over and kissed me before the doctor instructed me to push again. This time is was more painful as I wasn't expecting it and I began to get very out of breath. Once again Donny counted me though the pushes.