One last day

The last month had flown by and all of a sudden I had one night left with Donny by my side. I sat up in bed and just thought about how difficult the next two months would be with him gone. Donny soon woke up beside me. "One more day." I whispered. "I'm excited to sing with you again though. And I'm excited for the twins to watch us perform. They've never seen us perform together with the band. They've only ever heard us at the piano."

"Yeah. I hope they like it. But I don't want today to end. Because we both know what happens tomorrow."

"I know baby. Let's not think about tomorrow, let's enjoy today and make the most of it. We can head to the park with the twins, play games with them, just enjoy time with the lights of our lives. And make sure we have lots of cuddles." Flora and Michael walked in a few moments later and they each climbed onto the bed. As I was right next to Donny they crawled into our laps to give us cuddles. As usual Michael sat in Donny's lap and Flora sat in mine. "Did you kids have a good night sleep?"

"Yeah." Michael said softly as he put his arms around Donny. I watched as Donny cuddled with our son and I just sat cuddling our daughter.

"You two are the most amazing kids in the world. Daddy and I are so lucky to have the most wonderful twins. We love you both so much. And we know the next two months will be so difficult, but it will be worth it in the end. When daddy comes home and we can just spend all day giving him hugs and kisses and telling him stories about what happened while he was gone."

"I'm going miss you all so much. My incredible son, my amazing daughter and my beautiful and talented wife. The absolute love of my life. I'll be counting down the days to when I get to come see my favourite people again." Donny said holding all three of us close. I smiled a little. "So mommy and I are performing tonight and you're going to go and watch with Grandma and Uncle Oliver. But what do you kids want to do for the rest of the day?"

"I just wanna cuddle." Michael said softly.

"Do some baking." Flora added. "And maybe go to the park to play with you for the last time."

"It won't be the last time ever. I promise." Donny said softly.

"How about we go to the park, have lunch, do some baking and while they are cooking and cooling we have family cuddles. How does that sound?"

"Good." Michael said softly.

"Okay. Go get dressed and then we can go." I said rubbing Flora's back. The twins both left allowing Donny and I to kiss and then get ready ourselves.

"Tonight. For the gig. I was thinking of wearing my army jacket again. But I wanted to know your opinion on that."

"I think it's a great idea Donny."

"I'm glad none of the others got drafted. I think it's because they are all quite a bit older, and Jimmy is now a lawyer so can't really be drafted as he's too important."

"Me too. But I still wish you didn't have to leave at all. I don't know what I'm going to do without you. Every time I think about you leaving I just have lyrics swirling around my head from songs we started but never finished."

"Maybe that's something to keep you distracted. Write some new songs, write them knowing that I'll be coming home. Finish those songs we never finished." I nodded. "Let's get dressed and go get breakfast ready for the twins." I nodded and got dressed and then went down to the kitchen. Donny soon walked in and I just started crying. He immediately pulled me into a hug and held me close. "It's going to be okay. I promise."

"I know we will be okay. I'm just going to miss you so much. I don't know how I'm meant to comfort the kids when I miss you just as much."

"You'll figure it out Julia. Because you are strong and I know you can do this. I believe in you." The twins both appeared and both put their arms around me. I couched down and hugged them both tightly.