July 4th

I sat at the table with Donny eating dinner with my ma. I occasionally smiled over at him and he smiled back at me. We'd been dating for 6 months now and today was July 4th. We'd spent the day with the band at the park, enjoying the summer sun, all of us dressed in Red, White and Blue. We'd had an amazing day together and ma had cooked a really nice dinner for the three of us. Suddenly there was a loud band and Donny froze. Another one went off and I ran to the window to see what was going on. Fireworks. I rushed back to Donny's side and held him close, his head to my chest. "It's okay Donny love. It's just fireworks." He just remained shaking, no matter what I did. "Ma, can you give us a moment alone." She nodded and left the room. "Donny?"

"I'm there again." He whispered. Every time a firework exploded he shook again and flinched. The fireworks stopped and I just held him gently.

"Let's head over to the living room." I said helping him up, we made it half way across before another firework went off. Donny all of a sudden dropped to the floor.

"GET OUT!" He screamed after a few seconds. I stood for a moment and then dropped to the floor with him as he screamed and held him close. I wanted him to know I was there for him, I needed him to know he was safe. I thought feeling me beside him may help relax him.

"And I stand here helpless, my arms extended knowing full well darling, your war's not ended." I whispered as I held him close. "Welcome home, my dear, welcome home my sweet, welcome home my hero, welcome home my heart, welcome home, welcome home. welcome home." I sang which helped relax him. He laid on the floor still, his head in my lap and I smiled. "You're going to be okay. I'm here for you Donny."

"Thank you Julia." He whispered. "I don't know how I'd get though all this without you."

"You'd have managed, because you're a tough guy. But you're also incredibly sweet and sensitive and I love that about you. It's okay to still feel those traumas from the war. You went though four years of hell to get to where you are now. But you're a US veteran, and I'm proud to call you my boyfriend." I said running my fingers though his hair.

"I'm proud to call you my girlfriend. You also went though four and a half years of hell. I can't imagine what it must be like being here, with your loved one at war, and then getting that telegram saying he was gone."

"Don't talk about it." I said softly, thinking back to that day. "I have you now. And we both know how tough this is on us both, with all we've been though. But we're happy. And that's what matters. It will never be easy. We will never forget about what happened. We will never not have those memories. But we have each other to help us though it all."

"I love you Julia." He said sitting up and holding me close to him.

"I love you too Donny Nova. Or should I say Private Donald Novitski."

"How'd you know my full name was Donald."

"I saw it on your certificate above your piano the other day. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because out there I was referred to Donald, except to Michael. And as a musician I was alway Donny. My mom always called me her Donny Boy before she passed. And I don't like Donald anyway." I nodded and kissed his cheek.

"Awww. Her little Donny Boy. Is now my handsome Donny man. That I love very much. And I want you to know. Donald or Donny, Novitski or Nova, I love you no matter what." I said kissing him softly. He kissed me back and then pulled away. "How are you feeling. Has the firework explosions gotten passed you now?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry with how I reacted to them. It just reminded me of.."

"You don't need to apologise Donny. I know exactly why you reacted that way. And you had every right to. Now let's go finish dinner and then spend the evening together cuddled on the couch." I said with a soft smile, running my fingers though his hair.

"Sounds wonderful." He stood up and we shared a kiss. "I love you so much."

"You too. Go ahead and finish dinner. I'll be one moment. I just need to do something." I kissed his cheek and ran upstairs. I went and picked up a photo on my bedside table of Michael and I and I sat on the bed. "It's July 4th Michael. And the fireworks are causing Donny to have flashbacks to the war, particularly the day he lost you. Do you have any advice on how I can help him? I want to make things easier for him and better." I closed my eyes and held the frame close to my chest. I could hear him in my head giving me some advice. "Thank you. I love you Michael. And I miss you every day. And I want you to know that had you come home and gone though these same traumas I'd have been there for you too. You and Donny are my world. And I'm lucky to have found love again. Goodnight." I opened my eyes and put the photo down. Lifting up a photo I had of Donny and I hugging onstage after we'd performed on the contest. I smiled and remembered the way he held me so lovingly that evening. I will never forget the feeling of standing in his arms like that. I took the photo downstairs and headed to the kitchen. I sat down and put the photo on the table.

"The day that changed my life." Donny said looking at it.

"Changed all our lives for the better. All thanks to you. And especially ours. Our first kiss was that evening when we both admitted in front of the guys we liked each other."

"I was already head over heels in love with you." Donny said with a smile on his face.

"I loved you then too." I said softly. "I will never forget that moment. And the way you held me close and whispered in my ear, saying how amazing I was. I felt so lucky and I still do. Because I have a man as wonderful as you in my life. I'm so lucky to have you. I love you so much Donny."

"I love you so much too Julia." We finished our dinner and then cuddled on the couch talking for the evening. That was my favourite thing, just cuddling and talking to Donny. Eventually Donny went home after giving me a kiss Goodnight by the door. I headed up to bed soon after and smiled as I thought about Donny and my future with him. I knew July 4th would forever be a difficult time for him. But I was going to always be there to help him. And that's a promise I made to him and myself.