Coming home

I held Michael to my chest as I unlocked the door. I walked inside and Donny followed me holding Flora. I went straight to the living room and sat down and began to breastfeed my son as he was crying. "There you go buddy." The twins were now 4 days old. We'd had to stay in the hospital for a while because of me passing out after birth, but we finally got to bring our sweethearts home with us. Donny laid Flora safely beside me and started being everything in from the car. We'd been given a load of stuff from the hospital because of the unexpected twins and then Donny had also gone shopping to buy more things including the second crib and car seat. Once everything was inside he picked Flora up again and sat beside me.

"Welcome home you two. We hope to give you the best life possible. Mommy and I love you both so much and we can't wait to see you grow up." He kissed floras head and I kissed Michael's before we swapped babies as I fed Flora.

"Hey Donny. Do you wanna call the boys and invite them over. Let them meet the kids. And what about your dad."

"I want him to meet his grandchildren. He knew you were pregnant, he was at our wedding. He's starting to show more interest in my life again. After mom died things were difficult. He didn't know how to parent. He worked in the factory all day, mom was a house wife. That's how I learnt to cook because I had to do most of the housework from then on. Once I was 18 and got my own place he kinda forgot about me I guess. He was too busy. But since returning from the war, he's shown a bit more interest and I want the kids to grow up with two grandparents. Are you gunna tell your dad?"

"I don't know if I'm honest. I feel like he deserves to know. But having not spoken to me since I was 18, I'm unsure. He didn't show up to Michael and I's wedding as you know. So gave up communication with him. But I feel like he should know, even if I don't want him to really be in their lives. Oh but I do know Ma wants to come over and to have Oliver meet them. I love that she's found love again with Oliver. I don't know if they will ever get married, but she's happy."

"Yeah. Well it's your decision my love. I'll go call the guys." He placed Michael in his bassinet and I just sat holding my sweet baby girl close to me. "Guys are all coming at 2." He said after calling each of them. I nodded and then he made another call. "Hi dad, it's Donny." I immediately stood up and put Flora in her bassinet and went and sat with him, taking his hand in mine for reassurance. From where I was I could hear Donny's dad, Oscar, reply.

"Hey Donny. How are you doing? How's Julia?"

"She's doing great, and I'm just over the moon. I wanted to let you know that Julia gave birth earlier this week."

"Oh wow. Congratulations to you both. I'm so happy for you. Did you have a boy or a girl?"

"Well both. Julia ended up being pregnant with twins. Our daughter was born first and her name is Flora June Novitski."

"After your mother." I could hear the smile down the line.

"Yeah. After mom, and Julia's mother June."

"She'd be proud of you."

"Thanks dad. And then our son is called Michael Donny Novitski. After Julia's first husband and my best friend from the war, Michael Trojan, and then my first name. Like how my middle name is Oscar after you. We wanted to keep that tradition."

"They both have beautiful names after four very incredible people."

"I was wondering if you'd want to come over to our new house and meet them."

"I'd love to. I'm down at the factory til 5:30, I can come by after that, say 6. It will be good to see you again Donny, and of course your beautiful wife Julia. I've not seen you since the wedding, and I regret that. I want to be back in your life more Donny, you're my son."