Growing up

May 1953 - Twins just turned 2
I heard the crying from down the hallway and my cue to actually get out of bed kept ringing so I got up and wondered to Flora's bedroom. I went and crouched down beside my 2 year old as she was crying from her crib. "Hey princess. What's wrong?"

"I bump my head."

"Oh honey." I lifted her up and sat on the floor with her in my lap as I held her close. "Where about did you bump it? And what on?"

"There." She pointed at the side of her head. "And there." She pointed to the corner post of her crib. "I trying to get out."

"Oh you silly girl. Let me kiss it all better." I pressed a kiss to her head and she giggled and cuddled into me. "Why were you climbing out your crib?"

"Give mommy and daddy cuddles."

"Oh princess. Daddy and I love cuddles but you have to wait for us to come get you. You can't just climb out your crib. It's dangerous, and you may get more hurt than you just did. Maybe it's time we got you a big girl bed." She giggled and before long I saw Donny walk in with Michael beside him gripping his finger.

"Everything okay in here?" He asked as he came and sat beside us.

"Yeah. This little one tried climbing out her crib. Fell back in and bumped her head on the corner post. But a mommy kiss made it all better."

"Guess they are both being cheeky. Because I found this one this morning wondering around his room having successfully climbed out."

"Oh gosh. Definitely time for toddler beds then." I said resting my head on his shoulder. Flora crawled out of my lap and went to give her dad a hug too and he smiled as he hugged her. Michael however didn't come to me. He just started wondering around. He didn't talk much at all, unlike Flora who didn't stop talking. Also when he did talk it was more or less just to Donny or babbles between him and Flora. "Let's get these two monkeys dressed then breakfast time. We have a gig tonight as well. Our first evening gig since we had the twins."

"Yeah. I'm nervous. For how I'll feel, and for how they will do. I'll miss them and I hope they both go to sleep well with their grandma looking after them."

"Me too." I said softly. "But I'm also nervous because my dads going remember. His first time hearing us live and watching us perform. Since he came back into my life he's brought all our records and the number of times I go over and he's playing one is far too often." Donny chuckled.

"I'm sure you'll be fine. And I'll be right there beside you. And remember he's trying to mend your relationship, not break it apart. He's not going to do or say anything that could upset you love." I nodded and pulled him into a soft kiss. After pulling apart I chose Flora an outfit and Donny went with Michael back to his room to choose him and outfit and we dressed them both. We then took turns to watch the twins eat breakfast while we got ourselves ready for the day. Once dressed and ready for work I went and gave the twins kisses and hugs.

"I'll see you later little ones. Be good for daddy." I kissed Donny softly on the lips before getting up and walking out the door. I headed into work and smiled. I loved my twins so much, but I loved my job and we also needed the money to support ourselves as record sales weren't always enough to get by.

~~~~~

I came home as usual to see the twins eating their lunches and Donny working hard doing the washing up. I went straight to him and wrapped my arms around him from behind. "Hey baby." I whispered.

"Hey love. How was work?"

"Really good. Very productive. But I glad to be home with my favourite people. How were the twins?"