Chapter Twenty: It's all Greek to me

Despite waking up at numerous points during the night, I somehow didn't hear Teddy leave the next morning

Despite waking up at numerous points during the night, I somehow didn't hear Teddy leave the next morning. If it hadn't been for the note he'd placed on the bedside table, I could have almost believed it had all been a dream.

Sorry for sneaking out – didn't want to risk another awkward confrontation with Helen so thought I should leave before she gets up. Thanks for talking last night. Ed x

It wasn't clear if he was thanking me for opening up or for listening to him—not that it really mattered. What mattered was that he'd stayed in my bed and I'd woken up desperate to fuck him, despite promising Becca it would never happen. It didn't happen, though. So I hadn't broken my promise.

I threw the note in the bin, then immediately fished it out. Housekeeping could find it, jump to the wrong conclusion, and sell an inaccurate story to the press.

As that thought flitted through my mind, it reminded me why I was in this hotel room in the first place. It had been a couple of weeks since my first exposé on Teddy Stone. Although he'd given me plenty of content last night, most of it was common knowledge, and if I wrote about his relationship with Lacey, it would be glaringly obvious where it had come from.

For this to work, I had to bide my time and be careful. Unfortunately, Becca was not of the same opinion, and she made that clear when we caught up on the group chat at lunchtime.

Becca: It's been weeks Soph. What's going on? Not starting to feel guilty are you?

Me: No. Nothing to do with guilt. This will go tits up if I take a risk. Need to make sure it's something that could have come from anyone

Becca: But you're not anyone. You are getting close to him for this exact reason. If it could have come from anyone then we wouldn't need you there would we?

Ouch, Becca. I could understand her argument, though. Still, she wasn't here, and she hadn't witnessed Helen's meltdown over the Lacey article. I hadn't signed that NDA, and if something too private about Teddy got out, I would top her list of potential suspects.

Gabby: I think Soph is right. No point doing this unless we're doing it properly. If we make a mistake, it will discredit the other information Soph has provided

Becca: Other information being that one speculative article on Lacey Holland?

Sighing, I turned my phone facedown, needing a brief respite from the pressure. I had to remember that Becca was only acting like this because her idol had hurt her, and she was trying to protect herself from getting hurt again.

I really did have to keep reminding myself of that, because the more time I spent with Teddy, the less he seemed like the kind of guy who would behave that way. A one-night stand with a girl? Sure. But treating someone how he treated Becca? I couldn't see it.