Chapter Thirty-Five: Hot Ticket

If Ed wanted to talk to me, he'd have reached out by now

If Ed wanted to talk to me, he'd have reached out by now. Yet I still turned up at the arena hours in advance with the delusional hope that it might allow me to cross paths with him ahead of his performance.

Unfortunately, thousands of other people had the same idea. The queue curled around the building, then zigzagged until it disappeared into the distance. Waiting for hours under the blazing sun would be bad enough, but waiting for hours while surrounded by girls and guys who gushed about their love for my former friend would be torture.

Did box tickets give me the privilege of queue-jumping? Just as I was pondering the idea, a familiar voice cried out from metres away.

"I swear I have tickets! My boyfriend's company is a sponsor, and he got tickets for us both."

Faye stood by the entrance, hands flailing as she argued with the bouncer. By the way that the girls at the front of the queue glared at her, I could only assume she'd marched right up to the door without waiting her turn.

"If your boyfriend has the tickets, he needs to show them to me," the bouncer said.

"No, that's what I'm trying to explain. He has the tickets, but he can't make it anymore. But my name should be on a list, right? You must have a list. Security and all that. Faye Tideswell. Just check your list, please. I don't want to queue for hours only to be told you won't let me in."

"Miss, please keep your voice down," the bouncer said. "I don't have a list. No ticket, no entry."

"Bullshit there's no list!"

For fuck's sake. I hurried over and grabbed Faye's arm before she did something stupid like get herself thrown out before she'd even got inside.

"Sophia." Faye's eyebrows knitted together. "What are you—?"

"Sophia Palmer," I said to the bouncer, handing over my tickets. "She's my plus one."

The bouncer huffed out a loud sigh, rolling his eyes. "Look, we're all excited to see Teddy Stone. I get it. But you're clearly lying to me. She said her boyfriend had the tickets."

"Who cares what she said?" I replied. "My tickets are valid. I have two of them. There's two of us. And if you check your supposedly non-existent list, you'll see my name under the VIP box. I have ID if—"

"Is there a problem here?"

A tall figure dressed immaculately in a black suit stepped out from behind the elusive double doors. His eyes fell on me, their unimpressed gleam triggering a nostalgic familiarity.

Before I could say anything, the bouncer spoke up, pulling my focus back onto him.

"Two chancers here, boss. Won't take no for an answer." The bouncer folded his arms, squaring his shoulders as he stared me down.

I narrowed my eyes. "I have a—"

A large hand landed on my shoulder, instantly silencing me. "Enough. Sophia, get inside. Bring your plus one."