Chapter Twenty-Five: Flirting with Danger

To say Teddy was apprehensive about my surprise would be an understatement

To say Teddy was apprehensive about my surprise would be an understatement. No matter how much I tried to reassure him that he'd enjoy it and that he wouldn't need to worry about avoiding the public, he still failed to relax.

"And you're sure Mark has signed off on this? And Helen? You're not pulling any sly moves?"

I stepped in between his body and the mirror. He'd been straightening his tie in the reflection for the past five minutes, making it obvious that the adjustments only served as a way to delay matters.

"Have I told you how much I like a man in a suit?" I ran my fingers down the length of his black, silky tie, then slid my hands beneath his jacket to rest on the fabric of the shirt clinging to his waist. The warmth of his body burned through the fine material, his taut muscles tensing against my palms.

The trepidation in his eyes momentarily disappeared, replaced by a mischievous glint. "Are you seriously trying to flirt with me as a distraction tactic?"

I arched an eyebrow. "Is it working?"

Hands latching onto my hips, Teddy spun me around until my back collided with the wardrobe, air rushing from my lungs and catching in my throat.

"Depends," he said, sliding a thigh between my legs as he leaned into me. "Is it genuine?"

"You don't believe I like suits?" I replied, trying to keep my cool.

I didn't want to show any sign of weakness, but with his body pressed against mine, crushing my breasts against the chiselled planes of his chest, Teddy would no doubt be able to feel the thumping beat of my heart as it powered blazing fire through my veins.

With darkened eyes, he traced a long finger along the dip of my waist, continuing up the side of my body with an agonising lack of urgency. When he reached my shoulder, that same finger roamed lightly down my right arm, over my wrist, settling on my palm.

Slowly, like he wanted to give me every opportunity to back out, Teddy curled each of his hands around each of my own, raising them above my head to pin against the cool wood of the wardrobe. His hard body heavy against mine, the intoxicating combination of masculinity and spicy cologne lingered in the minimal space between us.

An anticipatory thrill rushed down my spine, my eyes fluttering shut. As the heat between my legs throbbed against his thigh, I writhed, craving more friction. Reading my mind—or maybe just my body—Teddy shifted his hips, and I drew in a breathy gasp, my dress riding up to give way to the width of the thigh as it ground against me.

Soft lips floated along the arch of my neck, goosebumps flaring in their wake, but they paused as they reached my jaw.

"Okay," he murmured, voice low and dangerous. "I believe you now."

Then he stepped away, the heat of his body leaving mine. I stumbled, grabbing onto the wardrobe for support as Teddy's eyes danced.

"Ready to go?" he asked, straightening his tie in the mirror again—although this time for good reason.