Chapter Thirty-Seven: Drive a Hard Bargain

A job on their team?

I cocked an eyebrow, not believing it all. "You've made it very clear that you don't want me in your life, Ed. Don't bullshit me."

"It's Helen's idea. Not mine. She wants you on our PR team."

"And why would she want that?"

He avoided the question, plucking a stray thread from the hem of his t-shirt. "You'll want to take it. The job."

Shaking my head, I ran a hand through my hair. "Sorry. I'm not buying it. Helen has never liked me and never trusted me—"

"Rightfully so."

"—So why the fuck would she offer me a job?"

"It's a six-figure salary. Round-the-clock protection. Plenty of opportunity to flex your writing muscle by sharing positive articles with journalists."

"Wow." I spat out a sarcastic laugh. "Sounds too good to be true. And even if it weren't, six figures? Is that your standard pay-off?"

Ed pursed his lips and threaded his fingers together in his lap, the darkness returning to his eyes as he settled his focus on me.

"Fine. It's five figures, but that includes accommodation, so it effectively works out as six."

"Accommodation?"

"Same hotel as my suite. We own that whole wing of the building for privacy and security. There are bedrooms, offices, kitchens... Fully kitted out. Much better than living with Faye, I'm sure. You'd have your independence back."

As I thought back to the first time Ed had shown me his suite, I vaguely remembered him mentioning that they owned more rooms. I therefore knew he wasn't lying about that part, but I still didn't buy the altruistic motivation behind the offer.

"So, Helen doesn't like me and doesn't trust me, but she's willing to pay me a ridiculous salary to work in her team? She shouldn't want me anywhere near—"

I cut myself off, the penny dropping as a different conversation sprung to mind. Standard procedure for employees.

"Everyone on your team has to sign an NDA, don't they?" I said.

"Correct. But you've screwed us over in the past, so we'll have an extra-special one drawn up for you." His lips quirked, but the smirk lacked humour.

No doubt he was remembering just how much he'd begged me not to sign that NDA the last time and how well that had worked out for him.

I leaned back in my seat, silently seething, just as the partition behind me opened up.

"I put Faye on a train," Mark said. "We'll drop you home, Sophia."

"I don't live in London anymore." I twisted to face the front. "I'm out in Surrey now."

"That's fine," Ed said, drawing my attention back to him. "We still have plenty to discuss back here."