Chapter Thirty-Nine: Number One

I really did hate the Tube—especially during peak hours—but if I'd learnt one thing over the past few months, it was the value of friendship

I really did hate the Tube—especially during peak hours—but if I'd learnt one thing over the past few months, it was the value of friendship. Becca and I had both contributed to the eventual collapse of our relationship, and I couldn't let it happen again.

So I stood in the corner of the carriage, near enough to the door that the rush of air—though warm and stuffy—helped curb my anxiety each time we reached a platform. A brief respite from the crowded interior. An easy exit if I needed it. The courage to keep pushing through the uncomfortable journey.

Because as much as I hated the Tube, I loved my friend, and that meant putting in the effort rather than risking complacency or hoping that everything would turn out okay in the end.

When we arrived at my stop, I leapt out of the train before the doors had fully opened and hurried up the steps and escalators until I reached daylight. Despite the muggy June heat, a dark cloud loomed overhead, and I quickened my pace, arriving at the restaurant far more hot-and-bothered than I'd intended.

I leaned against a lamppost to catch my breath and plucked out my water bottle from my handbag. Taking a few sips, I watched the city unravel around me: commuters rushing to the station, couples strolling hand-in-hand, parents clinging onto young children.

I loved London.

"Thought we were meeting inside?"

My gaze drifted from a group of unknown teenagers to a familiar face, looking a lot neater than I probably did.

"Only just got here," I said, dropping the bottle back into my bag. "Rushed from the station and needed a minute. All good now."

A waiter greeted us as we stepped inside the restaurant, showing us to a table tucked away in the corner. The noise from the room faded into a quieter hum as we moved out of the busier section and into the much more secluded space.

"Using your connections to get us the best seats?" Gabby smiled at me as she pulled out her chair.

I laughed. "No. Coincidence, I swear."

After ordering drinks, we settled into easy conversation, catching up on each other's days while successfully avoiding the elephant in the room. It wasn't that I wanted to talk about Becca, but the longer Gabby and I escaped the topic, the more awkward it risked becoming when it finally did come up.

"How's Becca?" I asked.

Better to get it over and done with, so we could enjoy our evening without it hanging over us.

Gabby shifted in her seat, eyes cast downwards as she studied the menu, although not actually reading a single dish.

"It's fine," I said. "I don't want you to feel awkward mentioning her just because you're still friends. I'm never going to hold that against you."

A white tooth pierced her cherry lips as she glanced up at me. "It's not that," she said.

"Then what?"