Chapter 4

Hailey

It was Friday morning. I was having breakfast at the table, replaying last night's event in my head. Marie had to go see her son, who was in sick in the hospital, so I gave her permission to leave and told her that I'd make breakfast.

I was brought out of my thoughts by Nathan entering the dining room. There was no sign of the bimbo from last night. Good thing. Or I might have ended up strangling her. Nathan looked fresh and clean, dressed in a pale blue dress shirt and grey dress pants with a navy blue tie. He placed his coat on a chair and proceeded to fix his cuff links, while calling out to Marie.

When no-one answered his calls, he went looking for her, but obviously couldn't find her. Frustrated, he entered the dining room and looked at me.

"Where's Marie?" He asked, acknowledging my presence for the first time.

I looked up and answered, "Her son was in the hospital, so I told her to go see him."

"I've been screaming my throat sore for 10 minutes" he said, glaring at me.

"Can't see why, when you could have just asked." I shrugged, standing up to go get his plate.

"Did she prepare my breakfast?" He asked, sitting at the island, across from my seat.

"No, she had to leave early, so I made breakfast" I said as I placed the plate of bacon, toast and scrambled eggs before him. He lifted one of his eyebrows probably wondering how I knew his preferred breakfast, but didn't say anything.

As I was making his coffee, I looked to see him eating his breakfast and I searched his face for signs that said he liked what I made. Even though I prepared breakfast and sometimes even dinner for us many times, I never got to see his reaction to my cooking, for we never ate together. I doubted he even knew I cooked for him. However, to my utter disappointment, his face held no reaction now. He just went on eating.

I placed his coffee in front of him to which he muttered a soft 'thank you' and sat down to eat my own breakfast. We ate in silence after that. This was the first time we had eaten a meal together as a couple. Flashback from my childhood came back to me, when my parents were still alive. We used to have breakfast together every morning, laughing around and sharing stuff. I remembered how my father would always compliment my mother's cooking and how she would blush. How sometimes we used to steal from each others plates. How my mother would prepare my dad's tiffin and send him off to work with a kiss. Even though I deny myself love, there's nothing more I want, than to have that family life again. My own family. Deep down, it's one of my most wanted desire, that I now know, I'm not fortunate enough to have.

As we finished eating, I took our plates and went into the kitchen to place it in the sink. The maids would clean them later. I came out into the dining room as Nathan was putting on his coat. He looked up, studying me for a second. Then he finally said,

"You're not going to work." He must have realised, since I was dressed in casual clothing compared to the formal outfits I usually wear to work. I was dressed in a white, button down top and blue high waisted jeans pants, accesoried with a black belt, black clutch and black heels.

 I was dressed in a white, button down top and blue high waisted jeans pants, accesoried with a black belt, black clutch and black heels