Chapter 32

After returning from my so called honeymoon, I got really busy with work. For some reason, corporate cases were just stacking up. It's like everyone decided that this time of the year was the perfect to sue someone. Being so busy, I didn't even have time to breathe peacefully and haven't seen or heard from Nathan in a while. I come home late and leave early and barely catch any sleep, but this is nothing new to me as it has been a routine I followed many times since forever.

Right now I was busy with my ex, Roman's case. I had won the patent infringement case for his firm and my boss Mr Kane had been so happy that he had sent me a box of premiere Swedish chocolate from London. As of now, I was going over the paperwork my associate Claire prepared, for the latest collection of jewellery that the company was putting out and checking for any flaws. Then we would file for patent application.

"Very good. Go ahead and file the patent. I want to the confirmation on my desk by the end of today," I ordered her.

As she left, my landline beeped which signalled my secretary calling me.

"Mr Hunt wants to see you now, shall I send him in?" Came Kate's voice.

"Do I have an appointment with him?" I asked because I don't remember having a meeting with Roman today and neither did Kate notify me beforehand.

"No ma'am, but he insists on seeing you," she said.

I pressed my temples. I never wanted Roman as my client because of the history we share. I always believed that personal and professional life should never be mixed. It gets in the way of business. Now I had no idea why he wanted to see me. It could be for work related issues or for a more personal reason. I didn't have an idea if he was here as my client or as my ex. But I couldn't really tell him no as I was his attorney and he had a right to see me during work hours. I let out a sigh. Maybe when Mr Kane was back, I'd ask him to hand over the Hunt's to a different attorney.

"Let him in," I told Kate. I brushed myself up and prepared to receive my ex putting on a professional front.

He gave a small knock on my door and after hearing the 'come in' from my side, he swung the door open and strode in, confident and tall. He was still as handsome as the day we first met but now he had a more mature air around him.

"Hailey," he greeted.

"Mr Hunt," I stood up. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Sorry for dropping in like this, I just need a few minutes of your time to inform you about an offer that was made for a new deal," he said as he slid into the chair opposite me. "Plus I was wondering what was holding up the deal of the collection we're about to launch?"

"I have already reviewed the papers for the designs and we're in the process of filling for patent," I informed him. "As soon as we get the patent, we are good to launch the collection."

"That's good," he said. "I want the new collection to be out before the end of the year award show season begins so I could have celebrities model them on the red carpet. I am sure we can get all the legal work done at the earliest."

"That won't be a problem," I assured him.

We spoke for a while and concluded our business. True to his word, it took us only a few minutes to go over everything. When he was about to leave, he stretched his hand and I gave him mine in a formal handshake. However upon taking my hand in his, he didn't shake it nor let it go but instead flipped it over so he could study the back of my hand.

"When I first heard about it, I didn't want to believe it," he said. "So it is true? You're married?"

"Yes," I answered simply and retracted my hand from his.