Stunt Double for the Stunt Double

"Just tell us where the girl is," 'Cat' demanded. She, Andre, and Beck were performing a scene in front of Sikowitz and the class. Andre and Cat were interrogating Beck about where he supposedly stashed someone. It was Beck's idea. Maybe we should lay off the crime shows.

Beck sat forward in his chair on the defensive. "I told you, I don't know."

"Okay," Cat relented, "If you don't know, you don't know."

She started to back away, and Beck acted as if that was the end of it. But quicker than a whip, Cat whirled and slapped Beck- hard- across the face. "Ahhh!" He yelled. I sat up straighter in my chair, realizing that Cat hit him for real. The red mark growing on Beck's cheek was further proof.

"Now, do you know?!" Cat demanded while furiously clutching at Beck's shirt. He tried to peel her hands away from him, but she wouldn't budge.

Andre just stood and watched, nursing a lollipop. "Hey man, get your partner off of me!" Beck exclaimed desperately.

"You better tell her what she wants to know," he replied nonchalantly.

Cat slapped him again, and it was getting harder and harder not to intervene. "You got three seconds to talk."

"I... I don't... I..." She slapped him once more, and Beck broke down. "She's in my basement," he bellowed while slipping off the chair. Cat and Andre looked on proudly. "She's in my basement."

We watched in silence as Beck curled in on himself and wept. "Boring," Sikowitz interjected.

"That was boring?" I asked.

"Yeah, it was all too predictable. There were no, ahhh, surprises."

From beside me towards the back, Jade shrugged. "I enjoyed the slapping."

"Speaking of which," I interjected pointedly. "Remember that nifty little exercise called stage fighting. What happened to that?"

Beck stood up and shrugged. "This was easier."

"Easier? Letting her slap you was easier? Are you joking?"

"I'm fine."

"Fine? Tell that to the red hand marks your cheek."

I crossed my arms and leaned back in my chair. Andre pursed his lips and sent Beck a nervous glance. But Beck's eyes never shifted from my face. He looked like a puppy that was just placed in a kennel, which made it hard to be upset with him.

"Anyway," Sikowitz interjected, "Entertainment is so much more entertaining when the characters do things the audience doesn't expect."

"Huh?" I hummed. And most of the class agreed with me.

"You've bewildered everybody," Rex chimed.

Sikowitz looked around at his students who were all nodding their heads. "Alright, okay, maybe I'm wrong. Let's move onto something else," he said while motioning for Beck, Cat, and Andre to reclaim their seats. Beck sat next to me, but I could tell he was wary of my mood.

I sighed and leaned into him while he slowly wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "I'm not mad at you. It just makes me upset to see you hurt," I whispered.

Tightening his hold, he sighed and spoke in the same tone. "I understand because I feel the same way about you. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too. That wasn't the right time to call you out on it."

"I accept your apology."

"And I yours."

We smiled and leaned into each other more as Sikowitz's voice brought us back to reality. "Let's talk about our hope and dreams. Tori," he said, pointing at the teen.