Detention and Feelings

"I can't believe we're here on a Saturday. The wonderful and thoughtful coffee you gifted me when you picked me up is not enough," I complained, looking at Hollywood Arts out my window while Beck parked the car. Beck and I, along with the rest of our friends were given a Saturday detention for being late to class, and I was none too thrilled. Beck and I had made plans for our Saturday that involved going to the zoo and mini-golfing, ending the day with a night in and movies. But in one moment our Saturday, our plans, were gobbled up, unlike the pretzel Robbie was choking on. Beck did his best to console me, even going as far as to bring me a caramel macchiato and a coffee cake muffin, and while I gratefully smiled and accepted his gift, I was still sour. He promised that we could still watch movies tonight, so I guess that was better than nothing. Plus, we were still spending the day together, just not as we hoped.

There was nothing I could do about it anymore, so I might as well drop it.

Beck came around to my side of the car and swept me under his arm, kissing the side of my head, another method to lift my spirits.

It worked better than the coffee and muffin.

A wide smile adorned my face at his loving gesture. I loved Beck's sensitive side. Many people saw him as a bad boy, a mystery, but I knew the truth. Beck was well-guarded to anyone other than me. He had even told me that he doesn't feel his cousin, Jade fully understands him. I would argue that Jade barely understands herself.

For weeks now, that girl had been grappling with the fact that she has feelings for girls and not just any girl. Jade could handle the fact that she was attracted to both genders. What she couldn't handle was being attracted to Tori, of all people. She thought she hated Tori, couldn't stand her, but there was a fine line between love and hate.

I felt that Jade's combative personality took her feelings towards Tori and used them to seek attention in the only way they knew how, which meant making Tori's life a little miserable. However, I believed Tori was starting to catch on based on how she egged Jade on every now and then.

It was quite amusing to watch Jade flounder for Tori's attention, especially since Jade refuses to accept her feelings.

Beck wouldn't believe me when I explained it to him, claiming that girls were weird, which I agreed with. Most girls were notoriously catty, and Jade fit the profile. She didn't like much of anything, and she hated to admit when she did unless of course, it had something to do with scaring other people. The girl was all bark, no bite.

When Beck and I walked into the main entrance of the school, It was a few minutes before 7, and we saw Jade standing on the steps nursing her own cup of coffee. Then we saw Tori, Andre, and Robbie meeting up with her from their lockers. I sighed as we walked over to join the others by the steps.

Curiously, Cat wasn't here yet.

"Well, this is a great way to spend a Saturday," Andre remarked sarcastically.

Leaning back on the wall of lockers, Tori said, "I have never had detention before."

"I'm kind of nervous," Robbie admitted.

"If you hadn't made us late for class, we wouldn't be here," Jade scoffed before turning her back on the group.

"I was choking on a pretzel!" Robbie defended himself.

Andre threw his hands up, exasperated. "Well, why you always gotta be chokin' on somethin'?"

"Awe, give him a break," Beck said, coming to Robbie's defense.

Tori agreed. "Yeah, it's not Robbie's fault he has a petite throat."

"It's average!"

Rex laughed and I rolled my eyes. "Why is this even a conversation? The point is none of us want to be here, but there's nothing we can do about it. Please let it go before I become more irritated."