Understudies and Cardiologists

(Third Person POV)

"Hey," Tori said, joining her circle of friends. They all returned her greeting, but her brows furrowed when she realized two people weren't there. "Hey, where are Beck and (Y/N)? I thought I saw them this morning."

"They only came this morning to pick up their school work. They're at the hospital," Cat said.

Tori's eyes went wide. "What? Why? Are they okay?"

"Relax," Jade interjected. "(Y/N) has a heart murmur. She's been going to the cardiologist every year since the sixth grade. Ever since they started dating, Beck always goes with her. The appointment was at 11."

"Oh. Well, is it serious?"

"(Y/N) says that she's fine and it's just a regular check-up," Jade explained nonchalantly.

"And the murmur's very slight," Andre added.

Tori still felt unsure. "Are you sure? (Y/N) downplays anything that has to do with herself."

"That's true," Andre agreed. "She never fully lets on to how she really feels."

Jade shrugged. Though she agreed, there was only so much she could say. "We don't have much else to go on. (Y/N) doesn't like talking about it and Beck respects her wishes."

"If there's somethin' worth worryin' about, I'm sure they'd tell us," Andre reassured.

The group of friends nodded before taking their seats. "Are you guys ready for Steamboat Suzy tonight?" Cat asked.

"Yeah, I can't wait to watch that dance around the stage with my part," Jade remarked, jabbing her finger at Tori. The friends pursed their lips in worry. Jade earned the role as Tori's understudy for the lead role. The entire week she had been concocting different plans to get the lead from Tori. She tried to trick Tori into taking a backup singer gig for Lady Gaga, but her plan was foiled when Tori found out it was Sinjin on the other end of the line. She even tried to threaten Tori into giving up the role. None of her plans prevailed, and (Y/N) wasn't happy with her behavior, but Jade felt like she was cheated, and she was done being in Tori's shadow.

...

(First Person POV)

"This is agonizing," I groaned. Beck, my mum, and I had been waiting in the exam room for what felt like forever. The nurse left nearly an hour ago after asking the preliminary questions. What could possibly be taking so long? I was in one of those flimsy hospital gowns, laying on the exam bed, holding the gown closed. My nerves were through the roof, and I felt like I was ready to explode. "The last time we were here, she said she saw something. It's been picking at the back of my brain all year and now that we're here, there's nothing to do but wait."

"Patience, (Y/N)," mum lightly chastised while she read her book.

I huffed. "Mum, I understand you're worried too, but you have your coping mechanism and I have mine. I could use some reassurance."

"Deep breaths, (N/N)," Beck said. He came over to me and sat down on the side of the bed, carding his fingers through my hair. "It's probably nothing. There's been improvement since they first found the murmur. And on the off chance that there is something wrong, we'll deal with it, together."

Beck's words soothed my buzzing anxiety and I released a deep breath. Beck was right. The condition of my heart had improved since my first exam. My doctor heard the murmur when I was 11 and that same year, I went to a Cardiologist. My mum and I learned that I had a small hole in my heart and the flaps that separate my chambers were sticking. This created an irregular heartbeat and blood flow. Although, it never affected me. Between sports and various forms of exercise, I had always felt fine. Sometimes my chest would hurt, but I always thought it was from exertion. But after last year, when the doctor said she thought she saw something on the Echocardiogram, I wasn't sure anymore.