Playdate or Real Date

The school bell rang, signaling the start of classes. "Good morning, little mutants!" Sikowitz announced as he stormed through the door not even a second later. Beck and I decided to change it up a bit and sit in the front row by the windows, and Andre sat on my other side, next to the aisle. Robbie and Jade sat in the row behind us closest to the aisle while Cat and Tori sat on the other side of the aisle.

Sikowitz climbed onto the stage and faced us, cackling by himself. When he realized that we weren't amused, he turned serious and started to throw his stuff down, saying, "All right. Now, it's time for... bad news."

"They found out coconut juice makes your hair fall out?" Rex quipped.

The class was amused; Sikowitz wasn't. He pretended to laugh before turning serious and deadpanning, "No."

"We're going to do an acting exercise about giving bad news."

"Why?" Jade asked.

"Why?" Sikowitz mocked.

I muffled a snort with my hand and looked back at Jade, who was glaring at me.

Sikowitz continued, "To teach you that acting often involves making choices about how to say things. For example, how do you give someone bad news and make it seem not so bad?"

"By telling them in a language they don't understand," Cat answered with her hand raised.

"No, Cat," Sikowitz replied in an overly optimistic voice. "Just come up on stage here. Robbie, you too. Up, up."

Cat giggled and hopped up on stage followed by Robbie. "And now you partner in this little acting exercise..." Sikowitz announced while opening the backdoor. "Tanner, come in."

A young boy with dark hair and tan skin walked into the room, and Sikowitz laid a hand on his head. "Everybody, this is Tanner, a young boy who lives next door to me."

We all waved and greeted him to be friendly and polite as Sikowitz guided him to a chair. "Have a seat. All right, Cat and Robbie," he announced while jogging back onto the stage. "Here's a card with some random bad news for you to give to Tanner."

The pair read the large index card as Sikowitz exited the stage. "Got it," Robbie said.

"Okay."

"Good," Sikowitz replied. "Now, improvise a scene where you have to give Tanner that bad news in a way that doesn't upset him."

"Um..." Cat and Robbie stammered before Cat reached up and whispered something in Robbie's ear.

An excited smile lit up Robbie's face. "Ooh, that's good! One sec," he said before getting his guitar.

After putting the strap over his shoulders, he started to pluck the strings and asked, "A?"

Cat nodded and they started vocalizing.

Then they started singing.

"This kind of news is always hard to tell someone," Robbie started.

Sikowitz smiled down at Tanner, gaging his reaction as Cat continued, "We really hope it doesn't break your heart."

Then they nodded at each other and the tempo picked up into a catchy, fun rhythm. "But somebody ran..."

"Yes, somebody ran..."

"A woman or a man..." Robbie sang as Beck and I started swaying along to the beat.

Cat added, "Maybe in a van..."

Together they sang, "Somebody ran over your go-kart."

"And it got crushed!" Robbie exclaimed.

"It's unfixable!" Cat finished sweetly while Robbie quickly strummed the strings.