Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Monday morning came around, and Morgan now drove her usual route to Lawrence & Starling, listening to the radio as she waited in traffic. She hoped she would have enough time to grab a coffee in the atrium café before work since she had been up half the night thinking about Marcus. Despite the fact she was sleeping in her own bed last night, she had stayed up for hours thinking about what she'd said to him.

She had gone back and forth in her mind thinking about her decision to no longer stay in Marcus's guest room while her apartment dried out, and deep down in her heart she knew she had made the right choice. The two of them weren't a real couple, and it would be for the best if they stopped pretending that they were, at least when they weren't in public. This arrangement between them was created because neither of them were interested in dating anyone, and Morgan wanted to stick by that promise she made. Marcus had made it clear he was not interested in being in a real relationship, especially considering how his last one ended, and Morgan had to respect that.

Regardless of how she truly felt.

Morgan now pulled into the Valcove building parking lot and parked in the employee lot, checking the time and deciding she could grab a coffee at the café in the atrium before starting her day. She exited her car and hurried to the entrance.

With her coffee in hand, Morgan now rode the elevator alone up to Lawrence & Starling. Once the doors slid open, she stepped out and walked toward her office. She was barely a few steps in when she almost ran into Justin.

"Hey--!" she began, surprised, but Justin didn't respond as he swept past her, his face set in a hard expression. She stared after his retreating figure, frowning.

Jeez, who pissed in his Cheerios this morning?

Shaking her head, Morgan turned and walked toward her office. She immediately noticed her door was wide open (which was odd since she always closed it whenever she wasn't here), but the reason became apparent almost immediately. A glass vase with a single flower in it sat in the middle of her desk with a note attached to the neck.

 A glass vase with a single flower in it sat in the middle of her desk with a note attached to the neck

Morgan smiled slightly as she opened the card and read what was on it:

Morgan,

I had a great time with you this weekend. Hopefully next weekend will be even better.

Marcus

Morgan couldn't help but blush and smile at his suggestive phrasing, happy at the fact that Marcus had sent this flower to her at work and that Justin had clearly seen it. It was very likely he had read the note too.

After reading over the note one more time and enjoying the warm butterflies it left in her stomach, Morgan closed it and slipped it into her purse. She then moved the vase so it sat in the corner of her desk - where it could be visible while she worked at her computer - before sitting down and getting ready for the day.