Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Marcus

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Marcus groaned as he pulled himself out of the dregs of sleep, his cell phone alarm blaring in his ear. He had been dead asleep, and it felt far too early for him to be woken up for work.

Why the hell did I set my alarm so early?

After a few moments, he remembered why: he was going to an important meeting later today with the guys at Rax Technologies, and he was planning to head into the office early to prepare.

Another day, another dollar.

Marcus rubbed his tired eyes before turning off his alarm and pulling himself heavily out of bed, ready to start his long and, hopefully, productive day with a quick workout and protein-packed breakfast.

Marcus

After finishing his workout, Marcus showered and changed into his nicest suit, grabbing an egg sandwich and orange juice for his breakfast, and checking his watch to ensure he wasn't running late

After finishing his workout, Marcus showered and changed into his nicest suit, grabbing an egg sandwich and orange juice for his breakfast, and checking his watch to ensure he wasn't running late. Once done with breakfast, he got in his car and drove his usual route before arriving at Rose Engineering, an expansive one-story building and machine shop in a small industrial park on the outskirts of the city. It was early enough that rush hour traffic was beginning just as he was parking in his assigned parking space.

Marcus had assumed he was going to be the first one in today, but was surprised to see a couple people already here upon entering the front door: his boss Felix standing at the front desk, and the receptionist Marla with a stack of messages that had arrived for the day.

"Oh, good morning Marcus," Felix greeted Marcus with a surprised smile. He checked his watch. "You're here early today."

"Got that meeting with Rax Technologies at noon," Marcus said, accepting one of the messages Marla handed him. "I'm gonna spend the morning prepping."

"Ah yes," Felix nodded, remembering. "You're having that over at the Valcove building, right? Glad to hear you're on top of it. Let me know if you need anything."

"Will do."

Rose Engineering was a large, open-concept workspace with standard cubicles and glass-walled conference rooms. Marcus was a member of upper management, so he was lucky enough to have one of the corner offices. The walls of his office were made of glass too, meaning he could see everything else going on in the area while still able to maintain a modicum of privacy.

Marcus powered on his computer and pulled up the file on Rax Technologies, starting to research their hi-tech motion sensors and how they would be utilized in Rose's self-driving automobiles. He didn't have to prepare a presentation or anything, but he still wanted to have a decent understanding of their products before heading into the meeting. This was an important deal, and Felix and his colleagues were trusting him to do a good job.