Chapter 3

Chapter 3

~Morgan~

"Seriously, why do you wear those shoes all the time? You always complain about your feet hurting in them."

Morgan smiled as she lifted one foot and readjusted one of her tan suede ankle boots. "It's worth it. These shoes were on sale, and they're really cute. I'm willing to suffer a little for fashion."

The pedestrian light turned green, and Stephanie and Morgan crossed the street with the rest of the crowd of people

The pedestrian light turned green, and Stephanie and Morgan crossed the street with the rest of the crowd of people. "I'm just saying... you knew we were walking to the deli for lunch today. You couldn't have worn flats?"

"Flats are for girls in relationships," Morgan stated, as if that was the most obvious fact in the world. "You have Leon, therefore you can wear flats as much as you want. I'm single, which means I'm stuck in heels. It's the law."

Stephanie snorted. "I don't get your brain, girl."

They arrived at their favorite deli, which was already crowded and buzzing with the midday lunch rush. Morgan and Stephanie both got in line at the front counter.

"I gotta run to the bathroom," Stephanie said, glancing over toward the women's restroom, where there was another short line. "If I'm not back in time, can you order my usual?"

"Sure."

Stephanie left, and a minute later the line moved up so Morgan was at the counter. She asked the girl at the cash register for two turkey subs and two large sodas before digging into her purse to pay. She felt her heart drop to her stomach when she couldn't feel her wallet anywhere, and then she remembered earlier this morning she had left it on her kitchen counter.

Shit.

She dug around fruitlessly for another few seconds or so. "I'm so sorry, I think I forgot my wallet at home," Morgan said apologetically to the girl behind the counter. "Can you just hold on for a minute? My friend will be back from the bathroom soon and she can pay."

"Of course," the girl said kindly.

Before Morgan could step out of line, however, a man's arm suddenly appeared from behind her, reaching out with a credit card.

"That's okay, I got it," the stranger said kindly. Morgan could have sworn she recognized that voice.

"Oh, no sir. You don't have to..." she began, but stopped when she saw the guy who had spoken. It was Marcus, the cute businessman she had chatted with in the atrium about a week ago. "Marcus?" 

He offered her a smile. "Hi Morgan. And it's no problem," he said easily. He was still holding out his credit card for the cashier to take. "Can you add on to the order a chicken salad sandwich and a bottled water, please?"

"Yes sir," the girl nodded, taking his card and ringing up the order.

"Thank you Marcus," Morgan said gratefully, smiling at him. "I suppose I should ask you why you happen to be in the same deli as me today?"