4 || Waking Up (To Ash And Dust-)

Midoriya side-eyed Tommy. He'd shown no obvious signs that he had been lying, but Deku reminded himself to be more careful. Currently, Mina and Kaminari were attaching straws together so Tommy could drink a Caprisun from inside the cell.

     He'd started a page on the strangers in a notebook he'd pulled out of somewhere, where, even I don't know. He'd already had a page dedicated to Tommy specifically. All he had was that there were slightly visible scars all around him. They looked similar to blade-wounds and some that looked like the one's Deku had received from Bakugou's explosions.

     In the hero course, especially 1-A, scars weren't uncommon, but according to Tommy, he wasn't a villain, and he wasn't a hero-in-training, and he hadn't mentioned a quirk or circumstance that would give him such scars.

     Midoriya realized then that Tommy had never told them his quirk. So, maybe he was quirkless, then. That would make a bit of sense. Quirkless people suffer from varying amounts of bullying. Still, the scars seemed a bit excessive for that.

     "Tommy." Midoriya called. Tommy looked at him, "What's up?"

     "What's your quirk, or are you quirkless?" Midoriya brought the notebook closer to his face.

     Tommy averted his eyes to Deku's friends, specifically to Mina and Kaminari. He'd already decided those two were his favorites there, and the first names he wanted to learn. He searched their faces for a sign as to what Deku meant by 'quirk', but it seemed as though they didn't think he needed a hint.

     It seemed that everyone was interested in his answer. Bakugou stopped glaring in the corner, to instead glare at Tommy for his answer, and Kirishima stopped talking to Ururaka (Tommy noted the funny name) and Tsuyu and all three of them stared at him as well.

     He wracked his brain, had he just forgotten a meaning for the word 'quirk'. Did they mean as in 'quirky'?

     "Ah, yeah, sorry big man, I don't know what you mean by 'quirk'." He admitted with a smile, leaning back on the handcuffs.

     The room stilled, and the air was thick with a sudden unwelcome silence. Tommy kept his signature smile, but shifted uncomfortably under the teenager's stares. 

     Midoriya shook his head in disbelief, "Sorry, maybe you call it something else where you're from. Your power, y'know, the one most people have?" He suggested.

     Tommy laughed, "Does being awesome as fuck count?"

     Deku paused and scribbled something in a notebook, and Bakugou's hands balled into fists, "Don't screw around, extra! What's your quirk?" He yelled.

     Kirishima snapped out of his daze and held Bakugou back.

     Tommy furrowed his brows, "For real, I don't know what the f'awk you're on about. I don't- I never had-" Tommy paused to sort his words, "Nobody where I'm from has whatever that is." He said seriously.

    Everybody stared at him again. 

     Midoriya pondered, in the silence that lasted maybe ten minutes, if Tommy was lying. But then he realized Tommy didn't have a reason to lie. It wouldn't get him out of the cell, if anything, it'd keep him in longer.

     He looked over at his friends and realized they'd also considered that maybe what Tommy said was the truth. 

     "So then..." Tommy's British accent sounded in the empty hallway, drawing the attention of the teens, "You said most people have those powers- er- quirks, then. Do you have those things?"