3 - The Ride Home

Arrow Rest - This is a plastic piece that sits on the riser and the arrow rests on.

I sprint as fast as i can to the SUV, while throwing a pebble as hard as i could to a car on the end of the street, it does what i wanted and the car alarm starts to blare. Every zombies head in the area snaps towards the noise and they jerk forward, eagerly wanting to sink their greedy teeth into the flesh of their prey.

I get to the SUV and Lenny throws me the keys, it all happens in slow motion, the keys fly at me so fast its like a blur. I jump high in the air bevause Lenny had mis-judged how tall i was and i caught them mid-air.

Before i had time to ask him if he saw my awesome catch he shouts "hurry up!

My head snaps to Lenny and the i realise with a sinking feeling in my gut, all the zombies heads had turned to me and then they slowly start to stumble from the forgotten car, intent on killing the trickster across the street.

I fumble with the car keys, i could practically hear Lenny grinding his teeth together and i shout in victory when i finally manage to stab it into the lock. I yank the door handle open and we both clamber inside and slam the door shut.

I lean into the passenger seat and blow out a breath as i hear the zombies outside banging on the exterior of the car, trying to get to us.

Lenny manages to start the car and jerks the car forward. I wince as i hear the thumps and crunches of the zombies under the wheels of the car.

"So...are we heading to my house? I ask, filling the awkward silence.

Lenny looks over at me and frowns "why?

"Well, i live far in the countryside and have a farm and a horse, whereas you live in an apartment in the city".

Lenny ponders for a few seconds and i clear my throat "look, this isnt up for discussion, i am not leaving my horse behind, anyway, it'd be better to take horses because cars are too loud if we need to make a run for it".

"But you only have one horse?

I think for a second before saying excitedly "there is other farms near mine, they have horses too! And cows, sheep and chickens!

Lenny smiles at my eagerness "yeah, that does sound nice, how about we get ourselves sorted and then we think about the other farms?

I nod then smile "and we might find other survivors!

Lenny shakes his head this time "no Quinn, we can't trust anyone, all the good people are gone, they are zombies, now there are bad people, people who will do anything to survive. Like killing".

"But we're still alive and we won't kill actual people".

Lenny glances at me before looking back at the road "when the time comes Quinn, your gonna have to kill someone".

The rest if the ride is silent as I go through the information he had just told me and when we come to the place I had seen my fist zombie I shudder when it is nowhere in sight.

'Its probably ripping the guts out of other humans, humans like you'

I squeeze my eyes shut and try to ignore the sadistic voice in my head.

***

Ten minutes later we reach my house. I don't hesitate for a second before I sprint to the field I had put corrie in.

"Corrie!

A neigh reaches me and I sigh with relief when I see that she is uninjured. I jump the gate and slip her head collar on her before clicking my teeth and leading her to her stable. I grab her food bucket and feed her. I dont normally need to feed her, as long as she eats plenty of grass i don't need to.

I pat her on her neck and kiss her nose, whispering "im so glad your safe and that i trained you well".

In response she sneezes in my face and i wipe it, laughing.

I pat her neck one last time before heading into the house, but not before closing and locking all the doors to the stables, i trusted Corrie because if she was in trouble i trained her to make as much noise as she could.

I walk quickly to the house and meet Lenny in the kitchen, where he was currently making more weapons using her long brush handle and duck-taping a knife to the end of it.

When he had finished he sits down next to her and turns to face her.

"What im about to tell you will scare you okay?

I nod anxiously

"Well, i dont know where to start..."

He tells me about zombies and how to stay alive in these kind of situations, from what he tells me in hreat detail i assume he has read many books on zombies or he has a brilliant imagination. In the end i believe completely that this is not a nightmare, this is real, and im gonna have to learn how to deal woth it and survive.

I stand up suddenly and so does Lenny, who looks rather alarmed "where are you going? He asks as i start walking towards the stairs.

"Well we aint gonna be alive for long if we're just killing zombies with duck-taped knife sticks! I shout down the stairs while opening the attic door.

I walk slowly up the ladder and rustle around a bit, coughing at the amount of dust that was up there.

Can you get cancer from dust? I dont know but the insides of my lungs are probably coated in it.

I finally find what im looking for and head back downstairs. I walk in the kitchen where i find Lenny making more weapons and throw the shotgun at him. He catches it with ease and whistles when he checks it out.

"You know how to use that? I ask pointing at the gun he was test aiming.

He scoffs and raises his eyes brows at me "please, i could fire this in my sleep".

"The better question is, can you handle that? He counters, pointing the bow and quiver of arrows slung over my shoulder and it was my turn to scoff "please, ive handled a bow since i was five".

He arches a brow and quick as a flash I swing the bow off my back with an arrow and with Twang! the arrow pierces the flesh of an apple, imbedding it into the wall behind Lenny who raises his hands up in mock surrender

Hello my little zombie killers!!!!!! How do ya find the book so far? Please leave a little vote and comment on your way to the next chapter ill post soon! Xx