9 - Forest

Days since Zombie Apocalypse started - 4

Date it started - August 21st

Date now - August 25th

The little girl is currently stuck up a tree and whenever i try to get her to come down she just frantically shakes her head and clings tighter onto the trunk.

I grumble frustratingly and pace, kicking poor pebbles that get in my way. Bailey paces along with me, sensing the tense atmosphere. I stop pacing and glance up again, she still hadn't moved, her eyes are wide with terror. Serves her right, i think to myself, then immedietely feel bad because shes only around 5 years old and must have been pretty scared to climb that high up.

I'll  give it to her i didn't expect her to know how to climb up a tree, hell, even I couldn't climb that high up in the matter of a few minutes.

I start going through my options, which isn't many, and decide to try go on up after her and attempt to pry her off the tree trunk shes holding onto for dear life.

"Stay Bailey" I point at the dog and he immedietely sits on his bum and sticks his tongue out from the side of his mouth, watching me as i put a hand up to block the sun from getting into my eyes as i shout "hold on, im coming to get you!".

The little girl nods and i start climbing. God this is hard, i grunt, im not built for this. I could outrun a swarm of zombies easily - mind you they don't go that fast but hey - but i cant climb trees.

The universe proves me wrong as i make it up the tree fairly quickly and when i look down the ground seems to stretch out below me and i suddenly feel queasy, imagine falling from this height and you don't die and a zombie comes along and thinks to itself (if it even has a brain since the bloody things cant even sting together a flipping sentence) noice, a human snack.

Imagine the pain.

I certainly imagine it and nearly start crying and having a meltdown but i remind myself up here and realise nobody's coming to get me if I dont get down here before dark. I mean Lenny might but i won't blame him if he doesn't, these past few days we've come to the conclusion that the zombro' s (hehe) are sighted mostly at night (bit cliche).

I found that out one night when i heard banging noises on the stable doors and when i go to investigate I see a zombie in the barn - I dont know how he bloody got in there like - trying to munch on my poor horse like a bloody Lollipop!

Hem hem, anyway.

I get up to the little girl and hold out my hand to her, to which she shrinks back from as if I was going to slap her.

I pull my hand back and make sure my legs and secure and my other hand is supporting me before lifting my hand back up to the girl.

"Take it, I'll give you a piggy back down" I smile a what i thought was reassuring smile but what probably looked like a smile that a phycopath would smile. If go with the latter with the look she gave me, she shakes her head and looks down at the ground below. Not that i blame her, I wouldn't even trust me.

I sigh and look back up at her and say in a softened tone "Look, im not gonna pretend this doesn't scare the living crap out of me because it does. I just want us to get out of this damn tree as fast as I can and get home before dark" the little girl looks sceptical so i add "So i can feed you as well".

She perks up at that before slowly detaching a small hand of hers from the tree trunk and clamping it onto my hand with surprising strength. She then lowers her right foot down to the branch below her right next to the trunk and wraps her left leg around my waist and slowly does the same with her right one before quickly letting go of the trunk with her hand and wraps them both around my neck.