6 - Surprise Surprise

Draw Length - The distance in which you are able to fully draw the bowstring back

A few seconds later Lenny comes running into the room i'm in, his face mixture of anger and relief "Why the heck did you run off! We should've gone together-"

I quickly gesture for him to shut up and point to my ears.

He shuts up with a frown on his face and when he hears the banging noises his eyes widen and his hands tighten around the knife he's holding. 'What do we do?' he mouths to me and I shrug exaggeratingly and widen my eyes which delivers the message 'How the hell do I know?'.

He groans and looks around, eyes locking on something just the right of me. My head snaps in the direction he is looking and my stomach drops. A door. Wonder where it goes?

We silently creep towards it and wince every time another bang sounds through the now humid, tension filled air.

I suddenly fill with the urge to run the hell outta there and breath in some fresh air but force down that feeling but telling myself not the act like a wuss and get it done.

When we reach the door Lenny looks at me like he's asking me if I really want to go through with this. I get why as well. A half hour ago we were talking about whether or not we would kill survivors if they threaten our lives and I had said to disarm them only. But what would happen if it was life or death? would I have the courage to kill a fellow human? could I let go of the feeling of What If?

I nod with determination and pull another arrow out of my quiver and nock it. He slowly reaches for the handle with the hand not busied with carrying the knife and slowly pulls it down, opening the door.

We are greeted with stale, rancid air. Like kale left rotten for months in a fridge. I recommend moving out if this ever happens to you because its just a foul smell and the left over slime on your fridge? UGH.

We both gag simultaneously and cover our mouths and noses. If it smells this bad up here imagine how it smells down there. I look over at Lenny who is still retching and breathing hard. I forget the basement and worriedly creep to Lennie, who is now leaning bent over against a wall.

"Hey? You good?" I whisper, scanning his face for any signs.

He nods slowly before regaining composure. I step back, sighing in relief, my shoulders slump a bit and I nod "Good" before turning back to the door and ignore the smell creeping through the material of my jumper.

The banging continues when Lenny finally joins me by the door and I look at him. He meets my eyes and smiles "It really reeks doesn't it?"

I snort "Nah, it smells like freshly baked brownies" I roll my eyes and shake my head.

"Now there's a thought" His voice makes me think of my grandma's house. Her bringing them out the oven, her cutting them into careful and neat squares, and me biting into the soft, gooey mixture and moaning in content- Then my stomach rumbles, bringing me out of my memory and I glare and Lenny, who's stomach also rumbles.

We both laugh and hush each other like a pair of 12 year olds in the middle of a class. I shake my head and open the door more, freezing when the door squeaks so loudly I could feel it through my bones and the banging stops, enveloping us both in a dark silence.

We both look down the pitch black stairs nervously, waiting for something to come running but it never did, maybe because zombies couldn't run up stairs?

Then Lenny looks at me and gestures to the stairs "Ladies first" he smiles charmingly and I playfully smack him in the arm, muttering "Jerk" before i make my way slowly down the stairs to hell.