4 - Deaths come a'knockin'

Bow Stringer - This device is used on recurve bows to either string the bow or remove the string. It is made from cord which connects to either end of the bow, allowing you to reduce the slack of the bow string and remove safely.

We drop to the floor and stay like that what seemed like hours in case the zombie got bored and moved on but the shrieks and loud clattering tell us otherwise.

I crawl closer to Lenny and whisper "They must have followed us" Lenny's answer is a nod and i carry on "We need to get rid of it before it attracts other".

Lenny closes his eyes, thinking before opening them and nodding. He quietly motions to grab my bow whilst he gently lifts a knife stick of the counter. I stay behind Lenny as he makes his way to the back door. I curse the lack of daylight and realise we will have to do this quickly before it gets dark.

Lenny quietly and quickly opens the back door and steps out, revealing a zombie too busy munching on my trash to see Lenny sneaking up behind it. I hold my breath and gently take an arrow out of my quiver before readying it on my bow.

My heart stops when there is a snapping noise as Lenny accidently treads on a twig, snapping it in half and i close my eyes, praying that the zombie hadn't heard but when i open my open my eyes the zombie had frozen and was slowly turning around to face a rigid Lenny with his knife stick ready.

With a snarl it launches itself at Lenny before i could even lift my bow and i squeal as they both go down, Lenny fighting it, holding its neck to try stop it biting him. while they were rolling around it the dirt i spot two figures coming towards us and judging from the moans they were zombies so i lift my bow i take aim.

i hit one zombie dead it the chest but the only thing it did was stumble backwards from the impact and with a cry of frustration i hit it again, this time in the leg. It falls over but doesn't stay down and instead it starts dragging itself towards my, snapping its jaws as if taking a bite from me will cure its hunger.

i let another arrow fly and this time it hits him dead between the eyes, and this time, it falls still. I aim at the other zombie who had managed to sneak up on my and hi it in the head and that too, fall still.

"To kill it, you have to hit it in the head" i whisper in realization to myself and then look at the two fighting on the floor, nether one had succeeded yet so i repeat what i just said in a louder voice.

"Yeah that would be great it i actually had something to stab it with! Lenny shouts back at me, grunts in effort to keep the thrashing monsters teeth out of his neck.

I rummage through my pockets but find no knife. i stand helplessly, watching the fight n front of me. Then i realise, I'm not helpless!

i grab an arrow from my quiver and run to the zombie. With determination and a whole load of strength i stab the arrow through the zombies head with an oddly satisfying Squish!

I then fall back taking deep breaths to stop myself vomiting. Lenny sits up also and kicks the disgusting dead creature away from him. He coughs "Thanks".

I wave him off and stand up, lending him a hand "No problem".

When he had stands up i go to each of the zombies and yank my arrows out their rotting flesh and clean them on the zombies clothes. I stand back up and place all five arrows back into the quiver.

"You comin? I look up at Lenny, who had the back door open.

"Uh, I'm gonna go check on Corrie, ya know? to make sure they didn't get her though i didn't hear any noise coming from in there".

Lenny nods "Good idea" he then points inside "Look, I'm gonna go clean up, holler if ya need me!

i wave him off and make my way over to the stables, looking around me in case there were any other uninvited visitors. When it was all clear i unlock the stable doors and peek inside, sighing in relief when Corries head leans over her door in interest.

I blow a kiss at her "Glad your okay baby, I'm gonna go inside now before any other zombies come, don't make any noise okay" She snorts.

I make my way back to the house in caution, even if id checked my surroundings five seconds ago, doesn't mean nothing else had creeped in. When i open the back door I'm greeted by Lenny cursing.

I run into the kitchen and notice the lack of lights "Whatsup?

Lenny looks up at me and sighs "The damn powers out".

I curse and bite my lip, thinking "Well we still have water because i have a filtered stream outside... but the lights...".

"Do you have any torches or anything like that?

"yeah, i have a couple torches and..." My eyes light us as i remember "I have solar powered fairy lights!!!! Yes!!! I've just remembered, i used to be afraid of the dark so i bought a bunch of em' at Co-op" I finally look up and even through the dark i see Lenny's raised judgemental eyebrow so i scoff and put a hand on my hip "What! You've never been afraid of the dark!?

Lenny sniggers "No, ive never been afraid of girly stuff!

i raise my own eyebrow questioningly and he sighs "Fine! I may have a slight fear to spiders" He shudders as if the meer thought of them repulsed him.

It was my turn to laugh "Spiders!!?? seriously!!???

"They are disgusting and have too many legs!

I snort and head upstairs with Lenny hot on my heels. In the attic i finally find the lights and do a victory chicken dance.

"i- did not just witness that..."

I look up to see Lenny giving me a weird look and blush bright red, i prayed that the darkness covered it up. I push past him and click the four of them on to test if they were charged and saw that only three were so me and Lenny set each of them up, the not charged one in the bathroom, one stretched from the kitchen to the living room, one in the attic and one in the upstairs hallway.

We step back to admire our work and when we saw that the lights lit up the house nicely we head upstairs to take some bedding up and canned food up to the attic, in case we were overrun and needed to camp out in the attic. Also, it was the safest room in he house because we guessed that zombies were too dumb to climb the ladders leading up there.

Once we finished my watch read 11:38pm and i yawn.

"I think we should head to bed now so we can wake up early tomorrow" Lenny suggests and i nod. i get settled in my bed but don't go to sleep.

"Don't you think its weird?"

"What?"

"I don't know, how me, you and Katie were laughing one second and then fighting for our lies for the next".

He's silent for a second before answering "no, i don't think its funny. I think its sad the way Katie died like she did, no one deserves to die like that".

I silently agree with him and suddenly starts laughing. Lenny gives her a weird look so she explains "If myself from today had told my yesterday self that we would be fighting zombies in 24 hours i would've shipped myself off to the loony bin". Lenny laughs for a second before saying "Get some rest, your gonna need it for tomorrow.

He shifts to get comfortable and then lays still.

Once i hear Lenny's breathing deepen and i know he's asleep i sit up, bow in hand, to make sure nothing unexpected turns up in the middle of the night. Zombie or not.