7 - Almost Normal

Archery - Archery is considered to be one of the oldest sports in the world.

As soon as i see Lenny's relieved face i throw myself into his arms, shaking. He pulls back quickly, his eyebrows knitted into a frown.

"Quinn? Whats wrong? What happened? Were you bitten!?" His eyes widen and he looks at all of my exposed skin, checking for bites or scratches.

I shake my head and laugh shakily "no im fine. I just feel guilty" i think back to the faces of those zombies who had once been people.

"Guilty...?" His face hardens to realisation and he runs a hand over his face "Quinn-".

"What?!" I throw my hands up and turn away from him. I dont know what to do with myself so i start pacing, my mind running at 100mph "they were once human! I look into their eyes and even though i see death and emptiness in them i still see the person they used to be. They used to have a family. They probably had strict moms who wanted the best for them and told them what to do and dads who cried when they went to college because his little baby had grown up. I see that in their eyes Lenny" i stop pacing and look him dead in the eyes and then whisper, looking at the ground "i just cant help it" my stomach does a little flip and bile fills my mouth.

Lenny sighs and grabs me gently by the shoulders, searching deep into my eyes "Quinn, they are not people anymore" i pull back to get away but his hold tightens on my shoulders, locking me in place "no Quinn, just listen for a sec" he breaths in deeply and shakes his head "They arent human. They died and the virus controls them. Just think of it as if they're possessed, the demons control the body with the human still trapped inside. Thats the same with the virus...its just... there's no more human left inside them" when i still dont look convinced he asks me "Do they look human?" I shake my head "There you go, the virus is mutating them into something else entirely, its using the body to get rid of the human race" then he adds in a mumble to himself "Thats how the bastards planned it".

I struggle out of his grip and frown at him "wait, who planned it?" I freeze and glance up at him with calculating eyes, seeing his eyes widens he realised what he just said i realise he's not telling me something. So i stand with my chin up. Stubbornly.

"Quinn-".

"I asked you a question Lenny!" He looks surprised at my cold tone and looks away "i dont know".

"But you just said-".

"I know what i said" he turns his head towards me "its just a theory really..." he rubs his face as if he was contemplating whether to tell me or not so i step forward and catch his wrist "What Lenny?".

He looks at me for a second before sighing again and pulling away. He turns so his back was towards me and starts talking "The theory is that the virus was man-made. That scientists created it to decrease the population, but it went wrong. It spreaded like wild-fire before they were properly able to manufacture it into perfection. It killed the people yes. But created a man eating machine that wont stop until it devours Every. Living. Thing. On this planet, starting with the main course." When i look confused he elaborates "Humans". My heart stops.

                                ***

When we get to the house my mind is still spinning with questions. I mean, Lenny's theory couldn't really be true, could it? The government wouldn't kill its own people to decrease the population? They wouldn't kill innocent civilians? But what did i know? How was i to know what the government would and wouldn't do. How was i to know if the government havent been torturing people all these years, testing viruses on them until they got it right. And if they did, how many? 40? 100? 200?