CONFRONTATION ( 대립 )

" Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. "
 - Oscar Wilde

Midnight blue, each vivid hue from the moon passing through the window, was like a passage that could bring you to exaltation. Every night, like a dependable companion, it will take you in a sweet embrace, and falling asleep would be as easy as beginning to dream.

Those fragile thoughts were emitted as Minseo laid on her bed, her eyes staring blankly toward the moonlight.

Unable to sleep, her thoughts kept running unnecessarily around one thing. Soulmates. Those principles were only bringing her confusion day by day, and now, it seems like she knew nothing of that concept anymore.

She shifted her body and turned her back to face the window while her arm was supporting her head. She sighed.

She finally closed her eyes as she had enough to think, but the previous event would keep refacing in her mind.

" Say, Minseo... "

" Hm? "

Biting his lips, Jungkook bought himself to ask. " What if I were your soulmate? Do you still think you would have such a hard time with your feelings? "

Taken back, the young woman asked back, " What do you mean? Moreover, it's not like I'm having a hard time by myself. It's just...hard, I guess. "

" But do you think you like him? " He asked before adding, " Jung Hoseok...For some reason, you both are avoiding each other- Emotionally speaking, as if it was a burden to be with the other. Shouldn't your soulmate tattoo draw you to each other instead? "

His question reminded her of Hoseok's proclamation toward her tattoo. He, too, thought that her soulmate tattoo was the one deciding of her feelings.

" ...Hoseok said something similar. "

Earning a confused look from the young man, Minseo sighed as she pushed her hair back.

" Hoseok thinks that the only reason I started to want to get closer to him was because of the tattoo. That it was the one deciding of my feelings instead of it being my own free will to like him. "

"... And it's not? "

She remained silent for a few seconds before she uttered, " At first, that's what I thought too. We spoke about this before, remember? "

The boy nodded.

" At the park. You even spoke about your parents... "

She nodded. " Right. Well, back then, a big part of me thought it was all bullshit, but slowly I started to get interested. "

Her eyes traveled toward her wrist as she raised her hand and unveiled her skin, exposing the delicate ink that was spelling her soulmate's name.

" To be honest, I am scared. I have this little voice in my head, asking, what if it's a mistake? What if he is not the one? What if it's never going to work? " She muttered. " But then, I've realized today that I wasn't the only one with such uncertainties. Hoseok is going through his own doubts and fears. "

Jungkook silently watched the young woman's fingers tracing the man's name as an oblivious smile spread on her lips. He titled his head and observed how her eyes brightened with her thoughts while her cheeks grew coated with a light tint of red.

" So, I was never an option, huh? "

" Hm? "

Minseo raised her head at the incomprehensible mutter of her best friend.