A DEAL IS A DEAL ( 거래는 거래야 )

" My sin was not specifically this or that but consisted of having shaken hands with the devil. The devil held me in his clutches, the enemy was behind me. "

- Hermann Hesse

" I have a favor to ask you, or rather, a deal to make with you. "

Minseo scowled, " A deal? "

" Yeah, I have an upcoming dance competition in Seoul, and four days ago, my partner got into a bike accident. She twisted her ankle and will be unable to participate in the contest with me. "

There was a pause.

" Okay? And how can I help you? "

" Well, I was wondering if you could take her place. I remember you being quite good at dancing back in high school, and your observation of my choreography this morning only confirmed my thoughts. "

The girl frowned and took a while to respond back.

" Um, I'm sorry, but that's something I cannot do. It has been a while since I've practiced and the choreography you rehearsed this morning... I can't do it, I'm sorry. I think it's a better idea if you pick someone else. "

There was a long pause again, " ...Well, it didn't have to be this choreography, but I understand... But you were really my last chance. The competition is two weeks away, so I believed you would be able to do it, but I guess not. "

" I'm sorry, but do you really have to say it that way? How can you expect me to suddenly learn a choreography in less than two weeks with college and everything? Moreover, didn't you say it was a deal? What do I gain in return for helping you? "

Hoseok laughed at her outburst and replied, " Sorry, it came out wrong. I just really wanted it to be you. Also, it is a deal. Didn't you say you couldn't find your soulmate? I could help you with that. "

Minseo gasped, " What? I- No, why would you help me with that? "

Was this supposed to be a joke?

Was God trying to mock her?

" Because I might know him. Most of the time, your soulmate is closer to you than you think. If you help me, I can help you find him. "

Her hand traveled to her forehead, and as she deeply exhaled, the young woman replied, " Hm, that's... No offense, but I don't think I would need your help with that. "

" Why? "

She gulped, " That's because...I want to find him personally! "

" Hm, but wouldn't it be better if you received some help to find him? "

She shook her head and quickly exclaimed, " No! That's okay! It's not like I'm in a hurry to find him or anything... "

" Oh...That's a shame. I was hoping you would help me, and I could help you back with your tattoo. You would also have gained bonus points at the end of the semester for participating in the contest. That's really a shame. "

Bonus points?

" Wait! Hum, a bonus point, you say... "

Hoseok hummed in affirmation and added, " You would have gained bonus points for participating in the contest since we will be representing our college. But I understand, you don't want to- "

" No! " She suddenly exclaimed again. " Hahaha, there seems to be some kind of misunderstanding. It's not that I don't want to. I just thought that I wasn't good enough to be your dancing partner. Though if you insist, I could help you with that. "