The circus

They continued walking for awhile, talking about their childhood. Wanda was aware that many memories coming from her brother were wrong, but she ignored it. It was nice talking to him alone. They had settled on finding Vision, she was certain he was around Ellis Avenue, his last known location. Wanting to make the moment last longer, Wanda requested that they didn't use magic, or superspeed. Pietro had originally agreed, but his fidgeting was steadily increasing with each step they took. She spotted a circus where the abandoned Avenue once was. Unsure about what they might encounter, she turned to her twin. "I can go get Vision on my own, go help Agnes. I'm sure she'll have enough stuff to do that you won't even see the time pass."

"You sure, sis? I can wait." Pietro might have believed his words, but Wanda could see how much he wanted to run and move. She assured him she'd be fine, and he was gone in the blink of an eye.

Wanda looked up at the circus banner, finding irony in the state of the soldiers. Them, who wanted to understand the situation so badly, were now in it. How's that for firsthand experience? She walked through the various performers, they were filling typical roles any circus would have clowns, gymnast, they even had a strong man and a psychic.
"Hello!" Greeted a man dress in a blue leotard, he was holding his nose that was obviously broken. "Are you here for any specific performance?"

She ignored the man's injury, knowing S.W.O.R.D, he probably deserved it anyway. She looked around at the various entertainment, they were all pretty straightforward. Her eyes landed on one specific tent, the psychic. She decided to amuse herself and walked over, the board next to the tent read: Charles the Xtraordinary.
Coming in, it wasn't all that impressive, there was a crystal ball at the center of the table and various cushions were laid on the ground. A bald man, probably in his forties, was seated on one side of the table.
"Welcome," he said, opening his eyes to greet his guest. "I am Charles, I suppose you're here to know your fortune?"

"Shouldn't you know that already?" Joked Wanda with a smirk.

The man returned her smile, "yes, I suppose so." He motioned her to take a seat. "Shall we begin?" As the man put his hands over the ball, it began to glow. Closing his eyes, the man hummed pensively, "I see pain, a lot of pain," he sighed. "Oh, I'm sorry Wanda, so much loss."
She froze in shock, she had met many psychics in her lifetime, but a circus charlatan certainly couldn't be the real deal, right? But then again, how could he know her name, and what she lived through?
The man continued, "I see a great battle, one that was unfortunately lost. But then everything was made right," he frowned, "but not for you. You were still alone." Her senses were on high alert, her magic was pushing for a rewind, but she had to know more. She needed to know how he could achieve this. "I see... a breaking point, and great suffering. Oh Wanda... what have you done?"

Wanda couldn't take it anymore, she had to know who he was. What kind of S.W.O.R.D. Agent was he? She tentatively lifted a hand to his temple and let her magic do the work. The man's eyes opened, and he gasped as he was released from her spell. He looked around him, confused at his surroundings before gripping his head in pain. He looked at her, seemingly to thank her for releasing him before he froze. "Wanda Maximoff! What an honor to meet you!" Charles went to shake her hand, but she backed off before he could reach her. Although slightly taken aback from her movement, the psychic continued. "We have a slight misunderstanding here, your brother, Pietro as you call him, he's not your brother, not really." Charles paused as he tried to take in her reaction, but Wanda was unreadable. "You see, a team composed of myself and a couple of others, including his father, are here to bring him back. We crossed universes to get here, it took weeks to find the right calculations. Thanks to your broadcast, we had a good grounding point. The military base kept us updated about Peter. We were brought in as you expanded the Hex, even our member with teleportation powers couldn't escape. I'm certain it wasn't your intention to trap us, or Peter, but you have to let us go. We're not from your universe, we don't belong here, we- "

"No," interrupted Wanda, startling the man. He certainly hadn't expected that reaction. "This is my home, I have my husband, my children and my brother. I will not let you take them away."

"Ms. Maximoff, you have to come to reason, you cannot keep up this lie forever. What you're doing is wrong, putting an entire town under mind control- "

"Is better than putting the entire Earth under it," completed Wanda. Her accent was out once again, rage oozing off her body as she stared at the man. She could feel his stare, and something else, it was nudging at her brain. A telepath, Wanda realized. She quickly shielded her mind and her magic acted without her realizing. In a move that could challenge her brother's speed, she put the spell back on the man. Eager to finish this awful conversation and go home. She hadn't found Vision, why had she even stayed? The consequences tied to the man's words quickly clicked, Peter's team was here, here for him. That could only mean that his father wasn't far. If he was anything like her brother had described, she would be in trouble.
As she ran out of the tent, she looked around with more attention. In her frantic state, everything seemed so overwhelming, yet no one took notice of her panic. She couldn't see much that was out of the ordinary, so she assumed that most clowns were probably soldiers.
'That leave the specific role to...' Wanda didn't finish that thought as her eyes stopped on another attraction: Nightcrawler and his disappearing act. The psychic had mentioned a team, with one of their members not being able to teleport away in time. The irony of the name had to have meaning. Suddenly she stopped in her track. No, no, no, please. I'm not ready! She ran over to the banner, not wanting to believe the writing on it. There, written on bold red letters, was the confirmation that her little world couldn't continue much longer.

Magneto, the man of steel.

Wanda supposed it was ironic that the man controlling metal was nicknamed like that, but then again, her magic had a twisted sense of humor. She quickly left the circus, appearance be damned; she used her magic to reach her house faster. Unsurprisingly, it was empty. Vision was apparently still mad at her, she wished she could make it better. Wanda made a mental note to sit down with him and apologize, he deserved to know the truth. Though right now, she was feeling better. She closed her front door, heading for Agnes' house; she had missed her children. She ringed the doorbell, she could see movement inside and seconds later, her neighbor opened the door.

"Hi Wanda! Feeling better?"

"Yes, can I come in?"

Agnes opened the door wider to let her in, Wanda felt something was amiss, but she tossed her worry aside as her neighbor started offering drink options. She settled for a tea and sat at the table.

After a few moments, she noticed the eerie silence of the house, save from the television. There were no arguments about who could do something better than the other or even a reaction to whatever show the boys would be watching. There was also no sign of Pietro, no sign of anything being repaired either.

"Where are the twins?" Wanda asked, "and Pietro?"

Agnes paused the making of her tea, wiping her hands on a dish towel, and turned to her. "Oh, your brother is fixing a leaky pipe in the basement, I tried to tell the kids to leave him be, but they wanted to be with their uncle, so I let them go with him."

That makes sense. Wanda wasn't sure if her mind was being sarcastic or not. She opened the basement door, calling her children. After no answer came, she walked down the stairs, ignoring how creepy the basement slowly became after each step. Her instincts were screaming at her to run away, but she had to get to her boys. After calling their names once again and getting no answers, true bone chilling fear settled in her body. As she turned a corner next to a glowing door, she had only one thought. Please be alright.

She arrived in a bigger room, a lair? She walked around trying to make sense of the place. Wanda passed a cabinet containing various bones when she felt drawn to her right. A black book radiating orange energy was on the table. The gears in her head finally clicked. This is a dungeon, probably the very same dungeon Peter talked about. Get out, get out, get out-

"Wanda, Wanda," Agnes' voice resonated through the room. "You didn't think you were the only magical girl in town, did you?" With a flick of her fingers, a far away door closed by itself. She resumed petting her rabbit, "the name's Agatha Harkness, lovely to finally meet you dear."

—————————————————————-
The circus is in town! And it brought in some unnexpected visitors...