Chapter 8: The sports festival! (part 2)

For some reason Todoroki wanted to talk with Percy. 'I hope this isn't another weird confession.', he thought.

"Jackson," Todoroki started. "I brought you here to tell you something. My father's only goal in life...is to surpass All Might. Since he couldn't, he moved onto his next plan. Do you know what quirk marriages are?"

"Uh... isn't it when two people only get together for powerful kids?"

Percy had just heard of it from Annabeth's mumbling.

"In a way...yes. It became a problem for the second and third generation after superpowers appeared. Choosing a spouse based only on strengthening your own quirk and passing it onto your children, forcing people into marriage. Endeavor is a man with accomplishments and money. He won over my mother's relatives and got a hold of her quirk. He wanted to fulfill his own desire by raising me to be a hero better than All Might. In my memories, my mother is always crying. She called my left side unsightly as she poured boiling water on me... Basically, I apologize for picking a fight with you, but I only did it to show my old man that I can beat you without his quirk. I'll get first place without it."

Todoroki walked off with that. Percy knew that he needed to be alone, but also had something to say to him. "Todoroki... You are quite strong for being able to keep going after all that, but you're not the only one who's family use you. Sure, it isn't in the exact same way as yours, but it's pretty bad."

-----

Shoto was confused. How could Jackson, who always seemed so carefree, have a family like his?

"You need to realize that it's not his quirk. It's your power. If you make ice appear right now, it's you doing that, not your mother since it's 'her quirk'. I agree that Endeavor is pretty horrible, but by refusing to use your quirk you are acting just like him. If someone is in danger and they die when you could have saved them using your fire, would you have saved them or let this dangerous promise get in the way? It's your quirk that you were born with, so you need to accept it. By the way, you don't know how many people would kill to have your quirk, so don't take it for granted. Let's both do our best, okay?!"

Shoto sighed. "Of course, Jackson."

Would he become like his father if he didn't use his quirk? Shoto couldn't stop thinking about what the teen had said.

-----

Percy snickered. The recreational games had started, and Mineta and Kaminari tried to trick the girls into wearing cheerleading outfits. Thankfully, Annabeth showed up and gave the two a piece of her mind. The girls thanked her for saving them from embarrassment on national television. Percy was laughing at the part where Mineta started trembling when all the girls ganged up on him. They went a little easier on Kaminari since he apologized.

The one on one battles were decided, but Percy and Annabeth were more focused on dominating everyone during the recreational games. Percy would use water platforms to get to the stands and ask people for things, and bring Annabeth with him too.

They all had fun during the recreational games, and thought of strategies for the third battle. The pairings for the final event were:

Percy Jackson vs Hitoshi Shinso
Shoto Todoroki vs Hanta Sero
Denki Kaminari vs Izuku Midoriya
Tenya Iida vs Hatsume Mei
Yuga Aoyama vs Fumikage Tokoyami
Annabeth Chase vs Mina Ashido
Ejiro Kirishima vs Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu
Katsuki Bakugou vs Ochaco Uraraka

Percy asked Annabeth to quickly analyze Shinso, and she found out that his mind control activated from when someone answered his question. Luckily the two didn't even have to worry about that, since Hecate gave them the ability to not be affected by mental quirks unless they wanted to be. They could pass it off as a quirk the two both had and bonded over, and many heroes would probably find that a good quality in an intern.