Chapter 9: Internships

Everyone was talking about what happened to them on their way to school. As in how many people recognized them. It was the worst for Percy and Annabeth. On their walk, several different people asked for autographs since they were the top two during the sports festival, and someone squealed and chased them while yelling 'SHIP!'. It was tough.

Mr. Aizawa entered. He said they had a special hero informatics class. Percy was afraid that there would be a quiz, which he knew he wouldn't fail, but still. However, Mr. Aizawa actually just meant that they were going to be making code names. Everyone was excited.

Mr. Aizawa closed his eyes and yawned sleepily. "This is related to the pro hero draft picks I mentioned the other day. The drafts begin in earnest in the second and third years, after students have gained experience and can become immediate assets to the pros. In other words, for them to extend offers to first years like you showed that they are interested in your future potential. These offers are often cancelled if that interest dies down by graduation. So you must print yourselves once you get picked. Here are the totals for those with offers."

Jackson: 7,436
Chase: 6,631
Bakugou: 2,438
Todoroki: 2,061
Iida: 638
Tokoyami: 245
Yaoyorozu: 114
Uraraka: 76
Kaminari: 20
Sero: 14

Mr. Aizawa looked at the class. "In other years, it's been more spread out, but all eyes were on these 2- er, 4 this year."

Some people were upset they didn't get picked, but not too surprised at the number of people who wanted those at the top, since they seemed to have the most potential. Percy didn't think so. All of them could be great heroes if they tried and practiced hard enough. Well... all except Mineta. Percy was 80% sure he was a complete lost cause.

"Keeping these results in mind, whether or not anyone asked for you, you will all be participating in internship with pros." Mr. Aizawa stated.

Some people were confused, Percy included, so their teacher explained further. "At the USJ, you already got to experience combat with real villains, but it will still be meaningful training for you to see pros at work firsthand. "

Midnight burst in and Dark Shadow screeched. She chuckled when Tokoyami apologized for it and explained that she would be making sure the names are okay while Mr. Aizawa bundled himself up in his sleeping bag. Percy wondered if Clovis would like one of those back at camp. The counselor meetings would be hilarious, especially since the Stoll brothers would definitely manage to steal it somehow.

"Okay, let's start presenting names starting with those who are ready." Midnight exclaimed, reminding him of her presence.

Nobody knew they were presenting in front of everyone, so it gained much more pressure. Sure, they were classmates who had gone through a villain attack together, but they were still self-conscious!

Aoyama immediately went up, since his name was first in alphabetical order. "I'll be the 'Shining Hero: I Can Not Stop Twinkling'!"

Midnight violently shook her head. After what seemed like way too much arguing, Annabeth groaned. "Just make it the 'Shining Hero: Twinkle'! It works just as well, for the gods' sake!"

Percy could not agree more, and Aoyama couldn't either since his eyes glittered. "Mon ami, you are brilliant!"

Sighing in relief, Midnight agreed. Ashido went up next. "'Alien Queen'!"

It was rejected for being 'too scary'. No, too scary was Annabeth when someone called her a dumb blonde, not an adorable hero name!

The pressure was even more intense than before since the first few names were bad, but it was resolved by Tsu going up with 'Rainy Season Hero: Froppy'. That name was so adorable, but Percy was sort of upset she didn't pick one that got rejected. Why? Because he had an even better name for her! 'The Frog Hero: Kermit'! He told this to Annabeth at a later date which resulted in an 'I'm not mad, just disappointed' look from her.